Melonie Thomas, MBA
Melonie Thomas, MBA, is a Lead Public Health Advisor in the Division of Cancer Prevention and Control’s Program Services Branch (PSB). She is hands-on in advancing cancer prevention and control strategies through development of protocols, procedures, tools, and guidelines that support the branch in executing the visions and missions of the branch, Division, and Center.
Ms. Thomas coordinates and implements programmatic initiatives for two of the Division’s flagship programs, the National Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program and Colorectal Cancer Control Program. She supervises the project officers who monitor and provide technical assistance to more than 60 program awardees.
Ms. Thomas also leads PSB’s efforts to improve communication of programmatic goals, objectives, and methodologies. She serves as liaison to the Division’s Office of Communication to ensure that PSB and its programs are represented accurately and highlighted strategically. Additionally, she serves as the PSB representative on the Public Affairs Workgroup of the National Colorectal Cancer Roundtable.
Ms. Thomas began her career at CDC in 2000 as a contracted health communication specialist, and served as a public health advisor from 2007 to 2014. Key contributions during that period include—
- Creating partnership development tools for NBCCEDP award recipients.
- Coordinating the regular assembly of leadership from key partners to discuss cancer screening promotion.
- Identifying, recruiting, and supporting national and community partners for HIV prevention and physical activity promotion.
- Providing technical assistance to develop marketing and communication materials for campaigns.
She earned an MBA from Pepperdine University and a BBA from the University of Georgia and was a recipient of the CDC & ATSDR Honor Award for Excellence in Workforce Recognition, 2014.
Articles Ms. Thomas has coauthored include—
- 2012 Small media and client reminders for colorectal cancer screening: current use and gap areas in CDC’s Colorectal Cancer Control Program.
- 2008 Catalyzing community action within a national campaign: VERB community and national partnerships.external icon
Documents and posters Ms. Thomas has coauthored include—
- 2018 ScreenOutCancer: Using Branding to Build Program Support (poster).
- 2011 Health Communication Priorities, Needs, and Current Practices: Assessment of Needs of Colorectal Grantees around Public Education and Communication (document).
- 2010 Engaging, Building, Expanding: An NBCCEDP Partnership Development Toolkit (document).
- 2006 Translating a National Media Campaign into Community Action (poster).