High Blood Pressure Educational Materials for Professionals
State Public Health Actions Program
- NHDSP Program Addresses High Blood Pressure
- NHDSP Program in Health Care Settings to Prevent Heart Disease and Stroke
- A Closer Look at African American Men and High Blood Pressure Control—Executive Summary [PDF–1.5M]
- A Closer Look at African American Men and High Blood Pressure Control [PDF–2.2M]
Data and Statistics
- Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS)
Information about health conditions and behaviors in the United States from the BRFSS, the world’s largest ongoing telephone health survey.
Statistics on public health topics; links to sources of additional data and related Web pages.
- Heart Disease and Stroke Statistics 2012 Update–American Heart Association
- Heart Disease and Stroke Maps
County-by-county rates of heart disease and stroke mortality and hospitalization in the United States. View by state, racial/ethnic group, and gender. CDC collaborates with each state to produce the maps.
- Self-Measured Blood Pressure Monitoring Action Guide [PDF-1M]
Clinicians, public health practitioners, health care systems, and individuals can focus on disease management strategies to improve blood pressure control in order to improve health outcomes for patients with HTN. Self-measured blood pressuring monitoring (SMBP) is one such strategy that is being promoted by Million Hearts™ and numerous national and international health organizations. The SMBP guide provides guidance and resources for public health practitioners on the integration of self-measured blood pressure monitoring with clinical feedback into chronic disease prevention efforts.
Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Reports
- Sodium Intake Among Adults—United States, 2005–2006
- Application of Lower Sodium Intake Recommendations to Adults—United States, 1999–2006
- QuickStats: Age-Adjusted Percentage of Adults Aged >20 Years with Hypertension, by Poverty Level—National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, United States, 2003–2006
Guidelines and Recommendations
- The Seventh Report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. This report provides recommendations for doctors based on clinical research.
- Dietary Guidelines for Americans
The dietary guidelines provide advice about eating for health. They are published jointly every five years by the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and the Department of Agriculture (USDA).
- Surgeon General’s Reports Related to Tobacco Use
This Web site provides links to reports about smoking and health, including reports on tobacco use among ethnic minority groups and young people.
- The Roadmap: A Systematic Approach to State Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention Programs
The Roadmap is a Web-based resource for training and information to help build the competencies needed by state Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention (HDSP) Program Coordinators. It provides suggested steps for carrying out requirements of the HDSP Program as well as easy online access to training, tools, and other resources needed for successful program development and implementation. The Roadmap offers information on four key areas of programmatic activities for developing and implementing a heart disease and stroke prevention program, including What to Do and How to Do It.
- Page last reviewed: August 14, 2018
- Page last updated: August 14, 2018
- Content source: