Where There's Smoke: The Effects of Smoking on the Human Body
In this lesson, students conduct an experiment that demonstrates what goes into a person’s lungs with each puff of a cigarette. Then, students will view an interactive Web animation that gives a 360-degree view of the organs in the human body and an explanation of how tobacco use affects each organ.
- Simulate/describe/estimate the impact of smoking on the lungs
- Identify the functions of major organs of the human body
- Identify the specific ways tobacco use affects these major organs
- Develop a persuasive presentation designed to discourage their peers from using tobacco
This activity fulfills science and health education standardsCdc-pdf.
BAM! Body and Mind Resources:
- Preventing Tobacco Use Among Youth and Young Adults — 2012 Surgeon General’s Report