John Snow, the First Epidemiologist
Download this Activity
Activity Component Lesson Plan [PDF – 271 KB]
In this activity, students will learn about John Snow, considered to be the father of epidemiology. They will learn how he used scientific methods to identify the environment in which cholera was spreading. By disrupting this environment, he ended the epidemic. Then students will learn more about modern-day “disease detectives,” deciding whether this would be a possible career for them to pursue.
- Describe the scientific methods that John Snow used to identify the environment in which cholera could spread
- Apply what they have learned about environmental conditions as a factor in the spread of infectious diseases
This activity fulfills science and health education standards [PDF – 271 KB].
BAM! Body and Mind Resources:
- Disease Detectives — Profiles CDC “detectives” as they track down the source of diseases and help stop them.
- Page last reviewed: August 28, 2018
- Page last updated: August 28, 2018
- Content source: