Visit the Arthritis Digital Press Kit in the CDC Newsroom.
Visit the Arthritis and Rural Health page on the CDC Rural Health website.
Read or download the CDC Vital Signs: Arthritis in America.
- Arthritis affects 1 in 4 adults in the United States, or more than 54 million people. The majority of adults with arthritis are working age.
- There are many types of arthritis— including osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, gout, lupus, and fibromyalgia— that affect joints, the tissue that surrounds joints, and other connective tissue.
- The most common type of arthritis is osteoarthritis, which affects over 30 million US adults.
- Arthritis is a major cause of work disability among US adults.
Impact of Arthritis
- By 2040, more than 1 in 4 US adults (78 million), including many working age adults, will have arthritis, creating substantial challenges for the workforce and health care systems.
- Many people with arthritis are limited from undertaking life activities. In fact, 24 million adults have arthritis and arthritis-attributable activity limitation. An estimated 35 million adults (44% of those with arthritis) will report arthritis-attributable activity limitations by the year 2040.
- Arthritis is common among people with multiple chronic conditions. For example, among people with heart disease, diabetes, and obesity, the prevalence of arthritis was 49%, 47%, and 31%, respectively.
- Arthritis makes it more challenging to manage other conditions like diabetes, heart disease, or obesity, since people with arthritis are less likely to be physically active, and physical activity is an important management technique for chronic conditions.
Simple Ways to Manage Arthritis
Taking just a few simple, natural steps can help keep pain away:
- Learn arthritis management strategies.
- Be active.
- Watch your weight.
- See your doctor.
- Protect your joints.
Learn more about these important self-management activities.
More Resources for the Media
- Page last reviewed: July 12, 2018
- Page last updated: July 12, 2018
- Content source:
- Maintained By: