NOFO Attachment 1 of 2 for: CDC-RFA-DP18-1803- State Public Health Approaches to Addressing Arthritis
Attachment 1: List of Evidence-Based Interventions
For Strategy 1 an applicant is expected to disseminate AT LEAST TWO evidence-based interventions. An applicant is expected to select at least one from the CDC-Recommended or Promising Arthritis-Appropriate Evidence-Based Interventions (AAEBIs) list below, but may choose to offer additional recommended or promising AAEBI(s). An applicant can choose to disseminate only physical activity AAEBIs, only self-management education AAEBIs, or both types of interventions from the AAEBI list below. Additionally, the applicant has the option to select no more than one other Self-Management Intervention either from the list below or having the focal characteristics described below.
Therefore, the following three scenarios are possible for an applicant:
- Disseminate TWO or more AAEBIs,
- Disseminate ONE or more AAEBI and leverage the implementation of ONE other self-management intervention, or
- Disseminate TWO or more AAEBIs and leverage the implementation of ONE other self-management intervention.
See additional instructions under each list below.
CDC recommends evidence-based programs that are proven to improve the quality of life of people with arthritis. A description and list of CDC-Recommended and Promising physical activity and self-management education interventions that are acceptable interventions for the purposes of this NOFO can be found below and on our Intervention Programs page. Each applicant is expected to select one or more Recommended or Promising AAEBI from this list for Strategy 1.
NOTE: All Recommended AAEBIs require in-person implementation and in-person participation.
- Active Living Every Day (ALED)
- Arthritis Self-Management Program (ASMP)— Note: infrastructure and dissemination support availability is limited for this program. CDC recommends use of Chronic Disease Self-Management Program as an alternative to ASMP. For more information about ASMP and its use for this NOFO, contact CDC’s Arthritis Program Project Officer at email@example.com.
- Programa de Manejo Personal de la Arthritis (Spanish Arthritis Self-Management Program)— Note: infrastructure and dissemination support availability is limited for this program. CDC recommends use of Tomando Control de su Salud as an alternative. For more information about Programa de Manejo Personal de la Arthritis and its use for this NOFO, contact CDC’s Arthritis Program Project Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Chronic Disease Self-Management Program (CDSMP)
- Tomando Control de su Salud (Spanish Chronic Disease Self-Management)
- Enhance Fitness
- Fit & Strong
- Walk with Ease (Group-led)
NOTE: Applicants who elect to implement Walk With Ease Self-Directed or the Arthritis Toolkit options under this list, are expected to implement a monitoring, accountability, or follow-up process/system that makes it possible to determine actual use or completion of the self-study or self-directed programs by participants, and employ a sustainable process or system that facilitates wide-scale dissemination and delivery/monitoring of the program. A system ensuring wide-scale dissemination and delivery, facilitating population-level impact is also expected for implementation of the online and remaining programs on this list. The self-directed, self-study, and online programs do not require in-person participation.
- Arthritis Foundation Aquatics Program (AFAP)—Note: grant funds cannot be used for building pools and/or construction.
- Arthritis Foundation Exercise Program (AFEP)
- The Arthritis Toolkit (Self-study)—Note: infrastructure and dissemination support availability is limited for this program. CDC recommends use of Chronic Disease Self-Management: Toolkit for Active LivingExternal as an alternative to the Arthritis Toolkit. For more information about the Arthritis Toolkit and its use for this NOFO, contact CDC’s Arthritis Program Project Officer at email@example.com. as an alternative to the Arthritis Toolkit.
- Better Choices Better Health for Arthritis (Online ASMP)
- Better Choices Better Health (Online CDSMP)
- Walk with Ease (Self-directed)
For the purpose of this NOFO, an applicant has the option to propose no more than one other self-management intervention in addition to the selection of at least one AAEBI above. Any proposed other self-management intervention must have evidence of effectiveness for its intended purpose (e.g., physical activity, pain management, etc.) and have a delivery and implementation infrastructure in place. Additionally, a proposed self-management intervention must be intended for adults, and primarily focused on physical activity, self-management education, injury prevention (e.g. occupational), and/or weight-management strategies.
If an applicant opts to propose ONE other self-management intervention, the following items are expected to be described related to Strategy 1:
- Applicant proposes no more than 10% of annual funding to support the implementation of the selected self-management intervention.
- Applicant describes how the self-management intervention is already being disseminated with an implementation infrastructure in place (see Attachment 2 under Strategy 1.1 for examples) and how it will leverage these existing activities.
- Applicant describes the purpose, focus, and evidence base for the self-management intervention, how the selected intervention is relevant to adults with arthritis and to this NOFO, and how it will be used to cross-refer participants to AAEBIs.