Resources and References
- Acute Flaccid Myelitis (AFM): What Health Care Providers Need to Know, COCA Call, November 13, 2018.
- FAQ by Clinicians and Health Departments Cdc-pdf[2 pages] NEW SEPT 2018
- CDC Updates Specimen Collection, Shipping, and Testing Guidance for Suspected Acute Flaccid Myelitis (AFM) CasesExternal, COCA Clinical Action, March 24, 2017.
CDC Expert Commentary from Medscape
Update on Acute Flaccid MyelitisExternal
Run time: 5:34 mins.
Acute Flaccid Myelitis in US Children, Update for CliniciansExternal
Run time: 7:36 mins.
- Notice to Clinicians: Continued Vigilance Urged for Cases of Acute Flaccid Myelitis, COCA Clinical Reminder, August 27, 2015.
- Acute Flaccid Myelitis-Keys to Diagnosis, Questions About Treatment, and Future DirectionsExternal, JAMA Pediatrics, November 30, 2018.
- Increase in Acute Flaccid Myelitis — United States, 2018, MMWR, November 16, 2018.
- Safety, tolerability, and efficacy of fluoxetine as an antiviral for acute flaccid myelitisExternal, Neurology, November 9, 2018.
- Acute Flaccid Myelitis: Etiologic Challenges, Diagnostic and Management ConsiderationsExternal, Current Treatment Options in Neurology, November 28, 2017.
- Acute Flaccid Myelitis Among Children — Washington, September–November 2016, MMWR, August 11, 2017.
- Notes from the Field: Cluster of Acute Flaccid Myelitis in Five Pediatric Patients – Maricopa County, Arizona, 2016, MMWR, July 21, 2017.
- Outcomes of Colorado children with acute flaccid myelitis at 1 yearExternal, Neurology, June 14, 2017.
- Acute flaccid myelitis: A clinical review of US cases 2012-2015External, Annals of Neurology, September 2016.
- Enterovirus D68 Infection in Children with Acute Flaccid Myelitis, Colorado, USA, 2014, EID, August 2016.
- Acute Flaccid Myelitis in the United States—August – December 2014: Results of Nation-Wide SurveillanceExternal, CID, June 17, 2016.
- Acute Flaccid Myelitis of Unknown Etiology in California, 2012-2015Externalhttps://www.cdc.gov/Other/disclaimer.html, Journal of the American Medical Association, Dec 22-29, 2015.
- Recognition and Management of Acute Flaccid Myelitis in ChildrenExternalhttps://www.cdc.gov/Other/disclaimer.html, Pediatric Neurology, Oct 20, 2015.
- A novel outbreak enterovirus D68 strain associated with acute flaccid myelitis cases in the USA (2012-14): a retrospective cohort studyExternalhttps://www.cdc.gov/Other/disclaimer.html, The Lancet Infectious Diseases, June 2015.
- Notes from the Field: Acute Flaccid Myelitis Among Persons Aged ≤21 Years— United States, August 1–November 13, 2014, MMWR, January 9, 2015.
- Acute flaccid paralysis with anterior myelitis – California, June 2012-June 2014Externalhttps://www.cdc.gov/Other/disclaimer.html, MMWR, October 10, 2014.
- Acute Neurologic Illness of Unknown Etiology in Children — Colorado, August—September, 2014, MMWR, October 3, 2014.
Page last reviewed: November 26, 2018