Resources and References
- Slide set: Acute Flaccid Myelitis (AFM): Clinical Presentation pdf icon[34 pages], NEW APR 2019.
- Slide set: Acute Flaccid Myelitis (AFM): Evolution of the Case Definition and Public Health Surveillance, United States pdf icon[24 pages], NEW APR 2019.
- Acute Flaccid Myelitis (AFM): What Health Care Providers Need to Know, COCA Call, NOV 13, 2018.
- FAQ by Clinicians and Health Departments pdf icon[2 pages] SEP 2018
- CDC Updates Specimen Collection, Shipping, and Testing Guidance for Suspected Acute Flaccid Myelitis (AFM) Casesexternal icon, COCA Clinical Action, MAR 24, 2017.
- Notice to Clinicians: Continued Vigilance Urged for Cases of Acute Flaccid Myelitis, COCA Clinical Reminder, August 27, 2015.
- Acute Flaccid Myelitis-Keys to Diagnosis, Questions About Treatment, and Future Directionsexternal icon, JAMA Pediatrics, November 30, 2018.
- Increase in Acute Flaccid Myelitis — United States, 2018, MMWR, November 16, 2018.
- Safety, tolerability, and efficacy of fluoxetine as an antiviral for acute flaccid myelitisexternal icon, Neurology, November 9, 2018.
- Acute Flaccid Myelitis: Etiologic Challenges, Diagnostic and Management Considerationsexternal icon, Current Treatment Options in Neurology, November 28, 2017.
- Acute Flaccid Myelitis Among Children — Washington, September–November 2016, MMWR, August 11, 2017.
- Notes from the Field: Cluster of Acute Flaccid Myelitis in Five Pediatric Patients – Maricopa County, Arizona, 2016, MMWR, July 21, 2017.
- Outcomes of Colorado children with acute flaccid myelitis at 1 yearexternal icon, Neurology, June 14, 2017.
- Acute flaccid myelitis: A clinical review of US cases 2012-2015external icon, Annals of Neurology, September 2016.
- Enterovirus D68 Infection in Children with Acute Flaccid Myelitis, Colorado, USA, 2014, EID, August 2016.
- Acute Flaccid Myelitis in the United States—August – December 2014: Results of Nation-Wide Surveillanceexternal icon, CID, June 17, 2016.
- Acute Flaccid Myelitis of Unknown Etiology in California, 2012-2015external iconhttps://www.cdc.gov/Other/disclaimer.html, Journal of the American Medical Association, Dec 22-29, 2015.
- Recognition and Management of Acute Flaccid Myelitis in Childrenexternal iconhttps://www.cdc.gov/Other/disclaimer.html, Pediatric Neurology, Oct 20, 2015.
- A novel outbreak enterovirus D68 strain associated with acute flaccid myelitis cases in the USA (2012-14): a retrospective cohort studyexternal iconhttps://www.cdc.gov/Other/disclaimer.html, The Lancet Infectious Diseases, June 2015.
- Notes from the Field: Acute Flaccid Myelitis Among Persons Aged ≤21 Years— United States, August 1–November 13, 2014, MMWR, January 9, 2015.
- Acute flaccid paralysis with anterior myelitis – California, June 2012-June 2014external iconhttps://www.cdc.gov/Other/disclaimer.html, MMWR, October 10, 2014.
- Acute Neurologic Illness of Unknown Etiology in Children — Colorado, August—September, 2014, MMWR, October 3, 2014.
Page last reviewed: November 26, 2018