Resources and References
- Transverse Myelitis Association’s AFM Physician Consult and Support Portalexternal icon
- Slide set: Acute Flaccid Myelitis (AFM): Clinical Presentation ppt icon[34 pages, 508], These slides are intended for use by clinicians or health departments during grand rounds presentations or other educational meetings. You may customize these with your own slide template, logo, and practice-specific information. NEW JUN 2019.
- Slide set: Acute Flaccid Myelitis (AFM): Evolution of the Case Definition and Public Health Surveillance, United States ppt icon[24 pages, 508], NEW JUN 2019.
- Acute Flaccid Myelitis (AFM): What Health Care Providers Need to Know, COCA Call, NOV 13, 2018.
- FAQ by Clinicians and Health Departments pdf icon[2 pages] SEP 2018
- CDC Updates Specimen Collection, Shipping, and Testing Guidance for Suspected Acute Flaccid Myelitis (AFM) Casesexternal icon, COCA Clinical Action, MAR 24, 2017.
- Notice to Clinicians: Continued Vigilance Urged for Cases of Acute Flaccid Myelitis, COCA Clinical Reminder, August 27, 2015.
- Acute Flaccid Myelitis-Keys to Diagnosis, Questions About Treatment, and Future Directionsexternal icon, JAMA Pediatrics, November 30, 2018.
- Increase in Acute Flaccid Myelitis — United States, 2018, MMWR, November 16, 2018.
- Safety, tolerability, and efficacy of fluoxetine as an antiviral for acute flaccid myelitisexternal icon, Neurology, November 9, 2018.
- Acute Flaccid Myelitis: Etiologic Challenges, Diagnostic and Management Considerationsexternal icon, Current Treatment Options in Neurology, November 28, 2017.
- Acute Flaccid Myelitis Among Children — Washington, September–November 2016, MMWR, August 11, 2017.
- Notes from the Field: Cluster of Acute Flaccid Myelitis in Five Pediatric Patients – Maricopa County, Arizona, 2016, MMWR, July 21, 2017.
- Outcomes of Colorado children with acute flaccid myelitis at 1 yearexternal icon, Neurology, June 14, 2017.
- Acute flaccid myelitis: A clinical review of US cases 2012-2015external icon, Annals of Neurology, September 2016.
- Enterovirus D68 Infection in Children with Acute Flaccid Myelitis, Colorado, USA, 2014, EID, August 2016.
- Acute Flaccid Myelitis in the United States—August – December 2014: Results of Nation-Wide Surveillanceexternal icon, CID, June 17, 2016.
- Acute Flaccid Myelitis of Unknown Etiology in California, 2012-2015external iconhttps://www.cdc.gov/Other/disclaimer.html, Journal of the American Medical Association, Dec 22-29, 2015.
- Recognition and Management of Acute Flaccid Myelitis in Childrenexternal iconhttps://www.cdc.gov/Other/disclaimer.html, Pediatric Neurology, Oct 20, 2015.
- A novel outbreak enterovirus D68 strain associated with acute flaccid myelitis cases in the USA (2012-14): a retrospective cohort studyexternal iconhttps://www.cdc.gov/Other/disclaimer.html, The Lancet Infectious Diseases, June 2015.
- Notes from the Field: Acute Flaccid Myelitis Among Persons Aged ≤21 Years— United States, August 1–November 13, 2014, MMWR, January 9, 2015.
- Acute flaccid paralysis with anterior myelitis – California, June 2012-June 2014external iconhttps://www.cdc.gov/Other/disclaimer.html, MMWR, October 10, 2014.
- Acute Neurologic Illness of Unknown Etiology in Children — Colorado, August—September, 2014, MMWR, October 3, 2014.
Page last reviewed: November 26, 2018