Applicants selected for the PE Fellowship must commit to a two-year, full-time program and relocate to the assignment location. Most assignments are at CDC headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia, however, some may occur in other states or public health agencies. Please refer to the Eligibility tab for additional eligibility requirements.
The following provides an outline of eligibility requirements for the CDC Steven M. Teutsch Prevention Effectiveness (PE) Fellowship.
- You must verify that you are a citizen of a country not designated as a state sponsor of terrorism. Access the U.S. Department of State’s State Sponsors of Terrorism website to see the current list of countries designated as a state sponsor of terrorism.
- Non-U.S. citizens must be legal permanent residents or eligible for H1B, J1, TN, or OPT-EAD (STEM Extension) visas prior to the program’s start date.
You must hold a PhD/ScD in decision science with all requirements completed before the start of the PE Fellowship. See Key Dates for additional information. Examples of decision science include:
- Economics or applied economics
- Health services research or related health sciences
- Industrial engineering
- Operations research
- Public policy or policy analysis
- Related quantitatively-oriented fields
Relocation is required. Limited relocation support is provided. Most assignments are at CDC headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia, however, some may occur in other states or public health agencies.
Notice of Non-Discrimination
All eligible applicants receive equal consideration without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or any other non-merit factors. Please see link to Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).
The following documents are required as part of the application process:
Unofficial Graduate Transcripts
The PE Fellowship application process allows you to upload all graduate transcripts in pdf format to your online application. These transcripts are considered unofficial. If selected for the PE Fellowship, you must request the university registrar/recorder of records to provide official graduate transcripts for the qualifying PhD. To prepare for the application process:
- Request unofficial transcripts for all graduate degrees (in progress and completed) from colleges/universities
- Save unofficial graduate transcripts as pdf files and upload online before submitting application
- If an unofficial graduate transcript is not issued by a U.S. institution:
- Submit other proof of degree completion (certified copy of diploma)
- Translate other proof of degree completion into English
- Do NOT include high school or undergraduate transcripts in your application
- Note: Graduate transcripts and other proof of degree completion will not be returned
Letters of Recommendation
You are required to provide the names and email addresses of three individuals, such as faculty members or supervisors, to write a letter of recommendation. Select individuals familiar with your achievements, aspirations, and personal qualities that distinguish you as a good candidate for the PE Fellowship. Letters must be:
- Specific to the PE Fellowship application
- Dated within 6 months of the application
- Written in English
- Written on official organization letterhead
- Signed by the letter writer
- Saved in pdf format
The individual providing the letter of recommendation must upload the letter to your online application file before the application deadline.
During the application process, you will see a link to a document called, “Instructions for Letter of Recommendation”. Share this document with the individuals writing your letters of recommendation, as it includes suggestions for writing and information regarding the process for uploading their letter to your online application account. The PE Fellowship will also email each letter writer instructions for uploading the letter of recommendation to your application account.
You can verify receipt of all letters by accessing your application account and using the “Track Your Application” page.
How to Apply
General Application Instructions
- Read the Application Instructions on this tab before registering or beginning the application process.
- Request and prepare all unofficial graduate transcripts before starting the application process.
- Gather contact information for letter of recommendation writers in advance.
- First time visitors must register before logging in. (See “Register” below for more information).
- The first two sections of the application (contact information and education) must be completed first and in this order.
- If copying and pasting information, use only the following characters:
- Letters in the English alphabet (a-z, A-Z)
- Numbers 0-9
- Special characters: – @! # _ * . , ? ’ : ; & ( ) / $ % + = “
- Complete all sections before submitting the application.
- Use the Print Application function to review and print your application before submission.
- Submit your application on or before the submission deadline to be considered.
- Click the “Apply Online” tab to access the register and log in screen.
- Provide your name, including your legal first, middle, and last name. If non-US citizen, provide name as it appears on passport.
- Enter your email address. This is your log-in ID and also used to communicate with you throughout the application process.
- Password – 6 to 10 characters with at least one number, one uppercase character, one lowercase character,
and one of the following: – @ ! # _ * . , ? ‘. (Example: Delta123#).
- Your Secret Question is used to confirm your identity.
- Click Register to complete.
Apply Online Process
Once registered, read the government warning and then login using your email and password. Click “Begin” and complete all sections of the online application including graduate dissertation abstracts. Click “Update” to save changes. Take advantage of this opportunity to spotlight your skills and sell yourself to the PE Fellowship review panels and hosting programs. Application sections include:
- Contact Information
- Add all college institutions. Include dissertation title and abstract if applicable.
- Graduate Transcripts:
- Unofficial graduate transcripts must be in pdf format
- Upload only unofficial graduate transcripts
- Official graduate transcripts are necessary only if selected for the fellowship
- Training and Language Skills
- Work and Research Experience
- Publications, Working Papers, Presentations, and Grants
- Honors and Awards
- Personal Statement -Personal statements are clear, concise, enthusiastic, and augment (not restate) information already provided in the application. Limit personal statements to 1,000 words. You can include, but are not limited to:
- Why you are interested in the Prevention Effectiveness Fellowship
- Your career plans after graduating from the Prevention Effectiveness Fellowship
- How the Prevention Effectiveness Fellowship will help you fulfill these plans
- How previous training and experience has prepared you for the Prevention Effectiveness Fellowship
- Why you want to work at the CDC
- Skills Self-Assessment
- Program Awareness Survey
- Recommendation Letters
- Three Letters of Recommendation are required to be considered
- Select individuals, such as faculty members or supervisors, familiar with your achievements, aspirations, and personal qualities that distinguish you as a good candidate for the PE Fellowship.
- Letters must be:
- Specific to your PE Fellowship application
- Dated within 6 months of your application date
- Written in English on official organization letterhead
- Signed by the letter writer and saved in pdf format
- Provide each letter writer with instructions using the following: Instructions for Letter of Recommendation [PDF – 1 page].
- Letter writers must upload their letter, in pdf format, to your application account by the application deadline
- Once you indicate your letter writers in your application, PE Fellowship will email letter writers instructions for uploading their letter to your application account
- Use “Track Your Application” to track receipt of your letters of recommendation by PEF
Submit after completing all sections of the online application and uploading your unofficial graduate transcripts. Once submitted, you can add additional references, change your contact information, and add additional unofficial graduate transcripts if necessary.
It is your responsibility to track the receipt of your supporting documentation
|September 4, 2017||Application opens 9:00 a.m. (ET).|
|January 19, 2018||Application closes at 11:59 p.m. (ET). Applications and supporting documents must be submitted by the deadline. Late applications will not be considered.|
|February 5, 2018||Begin notifying candidates selected for interview process.|
|February 12 – 23, 2018||Interviews will be performed via video conference.|
|March 9, 2018||Begin notifying candidates selected for the PE Fellowship.|
|July 20, 2018||All degree requirements must be completed.|
|August 20, 2018||Prevention Effectiveness Fellowship begins.|
Thank you for your interest in applying to the CDC Steven M. Teutsch Prevention Effectiveness (PE) Fellowship. Please read the application instructions found on the How to Apply tab before beginning your application.
If you are a first-time visitor, you must register for an account before you begin your application. Once you are registered, log in and begin the application process.
Click the button to check the status of your application.
For more information contact:
CDC Steven M. Teutsch Prevention Effectiveness Fellowship
- Page last reviewed: December 4, 2017
- Page last updated: December 4, 2017
- Content source: