Laboratory Testing and Practices (Protocols that partners can use)
Detection of Antimicrobial Resistance
Gram Negative Bacteria
- Unified Pulsed-Field Gel Electrophoresis (PFGE) Protocol for Gram Positive Bacteria [PDF – 78 KB]
- Modified Pulse-Net Procedure for Pulsed-field Gel Electrophoresis of Select Gram Negative Bacilli [PDF – 408 KB]
- First Review: Interim Duodenoscope Surveillance Protocol
- Interim Duodenoscope Sampling Method
- Interim Duodenoscope Culture Method
- FAQs on the Interim Duodenoscope Surveillance Protocol
- Multiplex Real-Time PCR Detection of Klebsiella pneumoniae Carbapenemase (KPC) and New Delhi metallo-β-lactamase (NDM-1) genes May, 2011
- Modified Hodge Test for Carpenamase Detection in Enterobacteriaceace [PDF – 127 KB]
- Laboratory Protocol for Detection of Carbapenem-Resistant or Carbapenamase-Producing, Klebsiella spp. and E. coli from Rectal Swabs [PDF – 110 KB] December, 2008
- Investigation and Control of Vancomycin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (VRSA) [PDF – 300 KB]
- CDC. Use of an Inferred PFGE Algorithm, Emerging Infections Program/Active Bacterial Core (ABCs) Surveillance Invasive MRSA Project
- CDC. Laboratory detection of vancomycin-intermediate/resistant staphylococcus aureus (VISA/VRSA)
- CDC Reminds Clinical Laboratories and Healthcare Infection Preventionists of their Role in the Search and Containment of VRSA
- CDC. Laboratory detection of coagulase-negative staphylococcus species with decreased susceptibility to the glycopeptides vancomycin and teicoplanin.
- CDC. PulseNet. Oxacillinresistant staphylococcus aureus on PulseNet (OPN): laboratory protocol for molecular typing of S. aureus by pulsed-field gel electrophoresis (PFGE). [PDF – 499 KB]
Laboratory Safety Publications
- CDC. Biosafety in microbiological and biomedical laboratories (BMBL).
- CDC. Interim laboratory biosafety guidance for extensively drug-resistant (XDR) mycobacterium tuberculosis strains
- World Health Organization (WHO); 2004. Laboratory biosafety manual.
- World Health Organization (WHO); 2006. Biorisk management: laboratory biosecurity guidance.
- Baughman W, Farley M, Toomey K, et al. Laboratory capacity to detect antimicrobial resistance, 1998. MMWR 2000;48(51);1167–71.
- CDC. Staphylococcus aureus with Reduced Susceptibility to Vancomycin — United States, 1997. [PDF – 267 KB] MMWR 1997;46(33).
- Defining the public health impact of drug-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae. Appendix. Laboratory-based surveillance system. MMWR 1996;45(RR-1);15–20.
- E. coli O157:H7: Procedure for Isolation and Identification from Stool Specimens. MMWR 1994
- Page last reviewed: March 9, 2015
- Page last updated: July 21, 2015
- Content source: