Anytime Doubletime Program: Community Based Organization
Grades 4 – 8 ACTION PACK
VERB™ ANYTIME DOUBLETIME
TAKE 2 VERBS MAKE 1 GAME AND GO!
This Action Pack has everything that you need – information, tools, and ideas – to build an exciting VERB™ Anytime Doubletime promotional program in your community organization.
With cool combinations of sports and activities, VERB motivates kids to get active!
Turn to the back cover to learn how easy it is to apply for a $500 grant.
Your kids are among 500,000 kids participating in the VERB™ Anytime Doubletime promotional program through community-based organizations nationwide. Our goal is to reach more than 5,000,000 hours of incremental activity. And it all starts with this Action Pack.
The Action Pack is your guide to organizing a fun, effective VERB Anytime Doubletime promotional program. And it's your link to a $1,000 grant for your organization's physical activity initiatives.
This guide will also show you how to reach your kids through cool combinations of their favorite sports and games. The ideas and tools we provide will help you to empower kids to take ownership of their physical activities when they create their own activities at your location, at home, anytime, anywhere.
Look for the following items inside:
- Plan of Action – pages 2-3
- Anytime Doubletime Activities – pages 4-5
- Reproducible Newsletter Copy – page 6
- Reproducible Kid Newsletter Clip – page 6
- Reproducible VERB Anytime Doubletime Recorder – page 7
- Reproducible Grant Application Form – page 8
Other elements of the program kit:
- VERB Anytime Doubletime Activity Cards
- VERB Anytime Doubletime Certificates
PLAN OF ACTION READY! - Generate excitement for your VERB Anytime Doubletime promotional program before you kick it off:
- Hang the Posters you received with this Action Pack in prominent places around your organization.
- Pose questions to your kids on the bulletin board to get them thinking about fun physical activities. Always end with "VERB Anytime Doubletime. TAKE 2 VERBs. MAKE 1 GAME AND GO!"
How would you play VolleyPong?
What's the deal with BirdieBall?
Have you tried Mini-SoccKey?
What would happen if you combined your favorite games or sports?
- Send a Parent Letter home to each family.
- Publish a note about the promotional program in your organization’s newsletter and Web site using the reproducible Newsletter Copy on page 6.
- Make a bulletin board of different activities, games and sports to start the kids thinking about combining activities to make a whole new game.
- Get kids involved in helping plan and organize a pep rally/assembly to kick off the promotional program. Find suggestions for VERB Anytime Doubletime Activities on pages 4-5.
- Copy and distribute a VERB Anytime Doubletime Recorder (page 7) to each of your participating kids. Encourage them to track their physical activities on the recorder and return them to you to receive a reward.
- Use the stickers to reward kids who are giving a great effort in the VERB Anytime Doubletime promotional program.
- Keep an estimate of the hours of activity driven by the VERB Anytime Doubletime promotional program using the recorders and your own observations. This will help your organization compete for a $500 grant. (See the Grant Application Form on page 8.)
QUESTIONS? CALL THE KALEIDOSCOPE EDUCATION SUPPORT GROUP® PROGRAM HOTLINE AT 1-800-331-9218 MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY BETWEEN 8:00 A.M. AND 5:00 P.M. EST.
GO! WHILE YOU MOTIVATE YOUR KIDS TO GET ACTIVE, EMPOWER THEM TO DECIDE JUST HOW THEY’LL DO IT. IT’S EASY FOR THEM TO HAVE FUN BEING ACTIVE – ANYTIME AND ANYWHERE – USING THE TOOLS PROVIDED IN THE KIT.
Activity Cards: Do A Double Take Need a new activity idea? Deal a cool combination of sports and games with the VERB™ Anytime Doubletime Activity Cards.
- For a group activity, have two volunteers select two cards from the deck. Discuss how the activities can be combined, ask them to try it at home and invite them to share how it went next time the group meets.
- Select a card and add the "Doubler" to make the game twice as fun. For example, try soccer with two balls or badminton with a racket in each hand.
- Have kids find partners and distribute a card to each player. Each pair will work together to create the game, try it out after your program or over the weekend and report back to the group.
- At the end of your day, draw two cards to create the Anytime Doubletime activity of the week. Ask your kids to play during free time or at home and record their hours on their VERB Anytime Doubletime Recorder.
- Hold an after organization Anytime Doubletime event, allowing the kids who attend to create Anytime Doubletime activities by drawing cards from the deck. Invite parents and group leaders to participate, too!
VERBTeller: Double Your Vision Looking for the path to fun? The VERBTeller knows the way. Kids will have fun using the VERBTeller to make up their own Anytime Doubletime activities – anytime, anywhere!
- Put together a VERBTeller (see the instructions provided on the VERBTeller) and demonstrate it for your kids. Distribute the rest to the group.
- At the start of the day or meeting, pair kids to consult their VERBTellers and find out what activities they will combine at free time or at home.
- Organize a contest and reward the most creative Anytime Doubletime activity.
Double Duty Set up friendly and fun group vs. group competitions. Announce the running totals and final results or post them on the bulletin board. Recognize the group that records the most hours on their VERB Anytime Doubletime Recorders.
Keep Going! - Reproduce and distribute the Kid Newsletter Clip. - Collect your kids' VERB Anytime Doubletime Recorders and total the hours they’ve spent being physically active throughout the program. - Refer to this Action Pack at any time for games and ideas to help kids remain physically active.
COMPLETE THE GRANT APPLICATION ON THE BACK COVER OF THE ACTION PACK AND SUBMIT IT.
THE HARD WORK IS DONE. NOW SHARE YOUR SUCCESS FOR A CHANCE TO WIN A $500 GRANT!
VERB ANYTIME DOUBLETIME ACTIVITIES
STAGE AN ANYTIME DOUBLETIME ACTIVITY DURING A PEP RALLY, AT FREE TIME OR AFTER YOUR PROGRAM USING THESE IDEAS AS A PLACE TO START. HAVE YOUR KIDS MAKE UP FUN NEW GAMES THAT THEY CAN SHARE WITH THE WHOLE ORGANIZATION. REMEMBER TO BE SURE THEY WEAR APPROPRIATE SAFETY GEAR.
Kick off the program with a pep rally or assembly.
- Introduce the VERB Anytime Doubletime program.
- Share your organization's goals for the program, such as increased physical activity, fun, creativity, etc.
- Tell your kids when, where and how they can get involved.
- Let kids and faculty know that you'll need an estimate of the hours of physical activity everyone does to be considered for a $500 grant. Tell them how you'd use the money and distribute copies of the Anytime Doubletime Recorders to kids and group leaders who wish to participate.
- VolleyHackey - Lower the net or use a limbo stick and kick a footbag over it. Score the game just like volleyball.
- SkateBall - Play basketball while wearing inline skates!
- MarcoHockey - Designate a secret location in the room as the "goal.” Players push around a puck and listen for whether they are "hot" (near the goal) or "cold" (far from it).
- HotVolley - Pass a ball back and forth over the net while music plays. When it stops, the player who has the ball is out. That player gets to choose the next song and decide when to stop the music.
- BirdieBall - Head to the diamond and replace the baseball with a birdie to dial up the fun. Use rackets instead of gloves and a bat.
- VolleyPong - Volleyball’s a whole new game when you use a pingpong ball
- Crab-Walk Kickball - Play a traditional game of kickball, but keep the playing field small. Move around the field on all fours, with tummies facing up.
- Mini-SoccKey – Add hockey sticks and a mini-soccer ball to the equation to double the fun. If you don’t have a mini-soccer ball, any small and bouncy ball will do.
- DanceTag - Play a traditional game of "freeze" tag, but instead of remaining "frozen," tagged players must do hip hop dance moves until re-tagged.
- SoccLoon - Blow up balloons and keep them in the air for as long as you can with the head, knees, and feet, not the hands.
- PedoDash - Choose a distance and have players use a fast walk — not a run — to reach it while counting their steps. Redo the walk while wearing pedometers and compare the results.
- HulaBee - Players work in teams of two and take turns throwing a Frisbee® and chasing it with a Hula Hoop®. The Frisbee should fly through the hoop before it hits the ground.
- CartHorse - Play a game of Horse, but make a free throw from the foul line and then do a cartwheel. Where you land is the location of your next shot.
- 4-Square Dance Revolution - Play the game four-square to your favorite music or while singing your favorite tune. Remember to hit the ball after a single bounce and to keep moving to the song as you play.
RECOGNIZE YOUR KIDS’ EFFORTS WITH A CEREMONY AT THE END OF THE PROMOTIONAL PROGRAM.
- VERB Anytime Doubletime Certificates – In the space provided, fill in the names of participating kids and distribute.
- Recognize all those who helped organize and stage the events.
- Announce the final results of any group vs. group competitions.
- Reproduce and distribute the Kid Newsletter Clip.
- Close by announcing that you’ve already submitted the results and that the organization is being considered for a $500 grant.
Frisbee® is a registered trademark of Wham-O, Inc. Hula Hoop® is a registered trademark of Wham-O, Inc.
VERB™ ANYTIME DOUBLETIME PA ANNOUNCEMENTS
IN THE NEWS
Cut and paste this copy into your newsletter for a quick memo that will keep parents in the know.
PARENT NEWSLETTER CLIP CUT AND PASTE THIS SECTION
VERB™ Anytime Doubletime
Our organization is taking part in the VERB Anytime Doubletime promotional program. Developed by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the VERB campaign is designed inspire kids (age 9-13) to have fun getting and staying active. VERB Anytime Doubletime invites kids to pair their favorite sports and games to make unique new ones like "disc basketball," "skateboard hockey," or "baseball golf."
Please support the promotional initiative by encouraging your child to try new activities, join in our group games, and increase his or her physical activity during our program and beyond. We will track our kids' participation and submit an application that may bring our organization a $500 grant for physical activity supplies.
Let's work together to build lasting, healthy physical activity habits with the VERB Anytime Doubletime promotional program.
© 2004 CDC. All rights reserved.
KID NEWSLETTER CLIP
You’ve taken 2 VERBs, made 1 game and created your own fun with the VERB Anytime Doubletime promotional program. Now keep the momentum going. Go to VERBnow.com for even more Anytime, Anywhere ideas.
While you’re there, take some time to browse the site's games and activities, too. Want to learn how to dance? Throw a perfect spiral? Or see how to perfect the latest skateboard moves? VERBnow.com has all of that and more. You can even find parks, beaches, trails and sports leagues near you.
So don’t wait. Sign up and record what you do anytime, anywhere at VERBnow.com.
© 2004 CDC. All rights reserved.
VERB™ ANYTIME DOUBLETIME RECORDER
AS SOON AS YOU COMPLETE AN ANYTIME DOUBLETIME ACTIVITY, WRITE ON THIS FORM THE SPORTS OR ACTIVITIES THAT YOU COMBINED AND HOW LONG YOU PLAYED. YOUR GOAL IS AN HOUR OF ANYTIME DOUBLETIME ACTIVITIES EVERY DAY.
VERB™ ANYTIME DOUBLETIME RECORDER
RETURN YOUR COMPLETED VERB ANYTIME DOUBLETIME RECORDER TO YOUR INSTRUCTOR TO HELP YOUR ORGANIZATION EARN A CHANCE TO RECEIVE A $500 GRANT FOR ITS PHYSICAL ACTIVITY PROGRAM.
GRANT APPLICATION FORM
YOU'VE DONE THE WORK. NOW APPLY FOR THE REWARD! - Answer the seven simple questions on this form. - Return the completed form in the postage paid envelope by the 2/1/05 deadline. - Your organization will be considered for a $500 grant to be awarded by Kaleidoscope Education Support Group®.
ENTRY DEADLINE: February 1, 2005
- Organization (Contact Name, Organization Name & Mailing Address):
- Total number of kids (age 9-13) participating in physical activity through yuir organization in an average week:
- Number of physical activity hours your program provides a child in one week:
- Number of kids participating in the VERB™ Anytime Doubletime promotional program at your organization:
- Total number of activity hours inspired by the VERB Anytime Doubletime promotional program:
- The name and brief description of your kids’ favorite VERB Anytime Doubletime activity:
- How do you intend to use the grant money for your physical activity program if your organization wins?
OPTIONAL: JUDGES WILL CONSIDER ADDITIONAL WRITTEN FEEDBACK, PHOTOS, STUDENT AND/OR PARENT LETTERS AND OTHER DETAILS ABOUT YOUR VERB ANYTIME DOUBLETIME PROGRAM IF YOU CHOOSE TO SUBMIT THEM, BUT THESE MATERIALS ARE NOT REQUIRED FOR ENTRY.
Mail To: Kaleidoscope Education Support Group “Anytime Doubletime Physical Education Grant” 932 S. Elmwood Oak Park, IL 60304
OFFICIAL RULES Sponsor: The Anytime Doubletime Physical Education Grant Program is sponsored by the Kaleidoscope Education Support Group, 710 Johnnie Dodds Blvd., Suite 300, Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464. Eligibility: Only organizations whose membership includes 9-13 year old children who participate in the VERB Anytime Doubletime Program are eligible to enter. Only one entry will be accepted from each eligible organization. In the event that more than one entry is received from the same organization, Kaleidoscope Education Support Group reserves the sole and exclusive right to determine which entry will be considered. The employees of U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Kaleidoscope Marketing Group, their parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies and their family/household members are not eligible. All federal, state, and local laws apply. Entry: To enter Kaleidoscope Education Support Group’s Anytime Doubletime Physical Education Grant Program, each organization must implement the VERB Anytime Doubletime Program and submit results via this form or a legible reproduction. Questions 1 through 7 must be answered for the entry to be valid. Entries must be postmarked by 2/1/05 and received by 2/8/05 at: Kaleidoscope Education Support Group “Anytime Doubletime Physical Education Grant,” 832 S. Elmwood, Oak Park, IL 60304. By entering the Anytime Doubletime Physical Education Grant Program, entrants agree that they have no right to bring (and covenant not to bring) any claim, action, or proceeding of any kind or nature whatsoever against the Sponsor, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Centers For Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Frankel & Company, or of their affiliated companies, subsidiaries, agents, employees or shareholders in connection with this Program. By entering the Anytime Doubletime Physical Education Grant Program, entrants accept and agree to these rules and to the decisions of the judges, which shall be final. Judging: Judges will select the winners from all eligible entries received. Entries will be judged based on how the organization intends to use the Grant (40%), creativity, originality and effort in implementing the program (40%), the percentage of enrolled children participating in the VERB Anytime Doubletime Program (10%), number of extra hours of activity reported per participating child in the VERB Anytime Doubletime Program (10%). In the event of a tie, the judges will select the winning organization based on a random drawing. Grants: Twenty five organizations will be awarded a physical education grant and receive a $500 check. The educational grant is intended for use in furthering the winning organizations physical education programs. Winning organizations will be notified by mail on or about 2/28/05. Prizes are non-transferable. Federal, state and local taxes are the sole responsibility of the winning organizations. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute prizes of equal or greater value. Prizes will be awarded in the names of the organizations. Each winning organization will be required to sign a Winner's Agreement and Release form. The Winner’s Agreement and Release form will be received by winning organizations by mail on or about 2/28/05 and must be completed as indicated on the form and returned in the postage paid envelope provided, postmarked by 3/18/05 and received by 3/25/05. In the event that a winning organization declines the educational grant and/or elects not to complete the Winner’s Agreement and Release form or does not return the completed Winner’s Agreement and Release form within the prescribed period, Kaleidoscope Education Support Group will select another winner from the remaining eligible entries based upon the Judging criteria. Kaleidoscope Education Support Group and U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are not liable for Winner’s Agreement and Release Forms and physical education grants that are stolen, lost, or mutilated in transit to or from the Kaleidoscope Education Support Group. By submitting an entry, each winning organization agrees to allow media on grounds for publicity purposes. Additionally, the organization‘s name and/or photo of the winning group or organization may be used by the Kaleidoscope Education Support Group and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for advertising and/or related marketing purposes without compensation unless prohibited. All entries (including photographs, negatives, etc.), all rights of ownership and publication of same will become the property of the Kaleidoscope Education Support Group and will not be returned.
In support of VERB™ and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). VERB is a trademark of the DHHS, CDC. ©2004 CDC. All rights reserved.
Kaleidoscope ® 2004
- Page last reviewed: August 1, 2007 Historical Document
- Page last updated: August 1, 2007
- Content source: National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Division of Adolescent and School Health