Routine Varicella Vaccination
Information for Healthcare Providers
The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) recommends that healthy people who do not have evidence of immunity to varicella should get vaccinated against this disease.
Routine 2-dose vaccination
- First dose at 12 through 15 months old
- Second dose at 4 through 6 years old
Second dose catch-up vaccination
- Give ≥3 months after first dose for children <13 years of age
Adolescents and Adults (≥13 years old)
- Give 2 doses 4 to 8 weeks apart
- If it has been more than 8 weeks since the first dose, the second dose may be given without restarting the schedule
Varicella vaccination is especially important for—
- Healthcare professionals
- People who care for or are around immunocompromised people
- Child care workers
- Residents and staff in nursing homes and residential settings
- College students
- Inmates and staff of correctional institutions
- Military personnel
- Women of childbearing age who are not pregnant (women should not get pregnant for 1 month after being vaccinated.)
- Adolescents and adults living with children
- International travelers
For more information, see the ACIP recommendations for varicella vaccination.
Varicella Vaccine Recommendations
- Prevention of Varicella—Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices MMWR. 2007.
- Use of Combination Measles, Mumps, Rubella, and Varicella Vaccine: Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) MMWR. 2010.
- Healthcare Personnel Vaccination Recommendations [1 page]
- Immunization of Health-Care Personnel MMWR. 2011.
Images and logos on this website which are trademarked/copyrighted or used with permission of the trademark/copyright or logo holder are not in the public domain. These images and logos have been licensed for or used with permission in the materials provided on this website. The materials in the form presented on this website may be used without seeking further permission. Any other use of trademarked/copyrighted images or logos requires permission from the trademark/copyright holder...more
This graphic notice means that you are leaving an HHS Web site. For more information, please see the Exit Notification and Disclaimer policy.