Who Needs Chickenpox Vaccine
Children under age 13 years should get two doses
- First dose at age 12 through 15 months
- Second dose at age 4 through 6 years
The second dose may be given at an earlier age if it is given at least 3 months after the first dose.
People 13 years of age and older who have never had chickenpox or received chickenpox vaccine should get two doses, at least 28 days apart.
Chickenpox vaccination is especially important for—
- Healthcare professionals
- People who care for or are around others with weakened immune systems
- Child care workers
- Residents and staff in nursing homes and residential settings
- College students
- Inmates and staff of correctional institutions
- Military personnel
- Non-pregnant women of child-bearing age
- Adolescents and adults living with children
- International travelers
To check if you are protected from chickenpox, see Immunity (Protection) Against Chickenpox.
Some people with weakened immune systems who do not have immunity against chickenpox may be considered for vaccination after talking with their doctor, including people—
- with HIV-infection
- with cancer, but whose disease is in remission
- on low or high-dose steroids
For more information on vaccination of people with weakened immune systems, see Vaccination Recommendations for Specific Populations.
- Who Should Not Get Chickenpox Vaccine
- Types of Chickenpox Vaccine
- Child and Adult Immunization Schedules
- Possible Side Effects of Chickenpox Vaccine
- Childcare and School Vaccine Requirements
Images and logos on this website which are trademarked/copyrighted or used with permission of the trademark/copyright or logo holder are not in the public domain. These images and logos have been licensed for or used with permission in the materials provided on this website. The materials in the form presented on this website may be used without seeking further permission. Any other use of trademarked/copyrighted images or logos requires permission from the trademark/copyright holder...more
This graphic notice means that you are leaving an HHS Web site. For more information, please see the Exit Notification and Disclaimer policy.