Recommendations and Guidelines
Vaccine Storage and Handling Toolkit
The Vaccine Storage and Handling Toolkit (November 2012) is a comprehensive resource for providers on vaccine storage and handling recommendations and best practice strategies. It includes considerations for equipment both storage units and thermometers, strategies for maintaining the cold chain, routine storage and handling practices, inventory management and emergency procedures for protecting vaccine inventories.
View or Print Toolkit
Use this link to view or print the Vaccine Storage and Handling Toolkit [4MB, 135 pages] Nov 2012
Note: Background images will not be printed so as to conserve printer ink
The Vaccine Storage and Handling Toolkit is based on the recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP), the manufacturer's product information and studies from the National Institute for Scientific Technology (NIST). The toolkit outlines best practice strategies and recommendations on:
- Equipment considerations for storage units and thermometers
- Maintaining the cold chain
- Routine storage and handling practices
- Inventory management
- Emergency procedures for protecting vaccine inventories
Note: For more detailed information on storage and handling recommendations and guidance for individual vaccines, please refer to FDA's package inserts easily found on the IAC website. Feb 2013
- You Call the Shots: Vaccine Storage and Handling Module is an interactive, web-based module which provides learning opportunities, self-test practice questions, reference and resource materials, and an extensive glossary. Continuing education credit or a certificate of completion available.
- Examples of vaccine labels [159KB, 17 pages] which can be used to organize vaccines within the storage unit. Referenced in the storage and handling Toolkit and the Guide. Updated Nov 2012
- Guidelines for Storage and Temperature Monitoring of Refrigerated Vaccines [3MB, 17 pages] Presentation from the National Institute of Standards and Technology on storage units, thermometers (including digital data loggers), and temperature monitoring. New Nov 2012
- Temperature Excursion Checklist [75KB, 1 page] Worksheet to use when storage unit temperatures are outside the recommended ranges. New Nov 2012
This symbol means you are leaving the CDC.gov Web site. For more information, please see CDC's Exit Notification and Disclaimer policy.
File Formats: All viewers, players, and plug-ins used on this site can be downloaded from the file formats page. (For example: Adobe Acrobat Reader for pdf files, Windows Media Player for audio and video files, PowerPoint Viewer for presentation slides, etc.)
This page last modified on February 7, 2013
Content last reviewed on November 27, 2012
Content Source: National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases