Vaccine Storage and Handling Toolkit
At a Glance
The Vaccine Storage and Handling Toolkit (May 2014) is a comprehensive resource for providers on vaccine storage and handling recommendations and best practice strategies. It includes considerations for equipment both storage units and temperature monitoring devices, strategies for maintaining the cold chain, routine storage and handling practices, inventory management and emergency procedures for protecting vaccine inventories.
View or Print Toolkit
Use this link to view or print the Vaccine Storage and Handling Toolkit [4MB, 109 pages] May 2014
The Vaccine Storage and Handling Toolkit is based on the recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP), the manufacturer's product information and studies from the National Institute for Scientific Technology (NIST). The toolkit outlines best practice strategies and recommendations on:
- Equipment considerations for storage units and temperature monitoring devices
- Maintaining the cold chain
- Routine storage and handling practices
- Inventory management
- Emergency procedures for protecting vaccine inventories
Note: For more detailed information on storage and handling recommendations and guidance for individual vaccines, please refer to FDA's package inserts easily found on the IAC website. Feb 2013
- You Call the Shots: Vaccine Storage and Handling Module is an interactive, web-based module which provides learning opportunities, self-test practice questions, reference and resource materials, and an extensive glossary. Continuing education or a certificate of completion available.
- Examples of vaccine labels [17 pages] which can be used to organize vaccines within the storage unit. Referenced in the storage and handling Toolkit and the Guide. Updated Nov 2012
- Guidelines for Storage and Temperature Monitoring of Refrigerated Vaccines [17 pages] Presentation from the National Institute of Standards and Technology on storage units, temperature monitoring devices (including digital data loggers), and temperature monitoring. New Nov 2012
- Temperature Excursion Checklist [1 page] Worksheet to use when storage unit temperatures are outside the recommended ranges. Updated Jul 2014
Images and logos on this website which are trademarked/copyrighted or used with permission of the trademark/copyright or logo holder are not in the public domain. These images and logos have been licensed for or used with permission in the materials provided on this website. The materials in the form presented on this website may be used without seeking further permission. Any other use of trademarked/copyrighted images or logos requires permission from the trademark/copyright holder...more
This graphic notice means that you are leaving an HHS Web site. For more information, please see the Exit Notification and Disclaimer policy.