Interim Vaccine Storage and Handling Guidance
The Interim Vaccine Storage and Handling Guidance is a brief summary of changes in recommendations for vaccine storage and handling equipment. This guidance is intended for use by all public and private sector providers. The Storage and Handling Toolkit (linked below) includes detailed information about the recommendations summarized here and should be used in conjunction with the Interim Vaccine Storage and Handling Guidance.
Updated recommendations include:
- Use of a biosafe glycol-encased probe or a similar temperature buffered probe rather than measurement of ambient air temperatures, and;
- Use of digital data loggers with detachable probes that record and store temperature information at frequent programmable intervals for 24 hour temperature monitoring rather than non-continuous temperature monitoring, and;
- Use of stand-alone refrigerator and stand-alone freezer units suitable for vaccine storage rather than combination (refrigerator+freezer) or other units not designed for storing fragile biologics, such as vaccines, and;
- Discontinuing use of dorm-style or bar-style refrigerator/freezers for ANY vaccine storage, even temporary storage, and;
- Weekly review of vaccine expiration dates and rotation of vaccine stock.
Use this link to view or print the Interim Vaccine Storage and Handling Guidance [5 pages].
Have questions? See the answers to these Frequently Asked Questions, Interim Guidelines for Vaccine Storage and Handling [7 pages].
Use this link to view or print the Vaccine Storage and Handling Toolkit [135 pages] Nov 2012
Images and logos on this website which are trademarked/copyrighted or used with permission of the trademark/copyright or logo holder are not in the public domain. These images and logos have been licensed for or used with permission in the materials provided on this website. The materials in the form presented on this website may be used without seeking further permission. Any other use of trademarked/copyrighted images or logos requires permission from the trademark/copyright holder...more
This graphic notice means that you are leaving an HHS Web site. For more information, please see the Exit Notification and Disclaimer policy.