Vaccine Storage and Handling
Recommendations and Guidelines
At a Glance
Proper vaccine storage and handling practices play a very important role in protecting individuals and communities from vaccine-preventable diseases.
Vaccine quality is the shared responsibility of everyone, from the time vaccine is manufactured until it is administered.
- Vaccine Storage and Handling Toolkit is a comprehensive resource for providers on vaccine storage and handling recommendations and best practice strategies. It includes considerations for equipment both storage units and thermometers, strategies for maintaining the cold chain, routine storage and handling practices, inventory management and emergency procedures for protecting vaccine inventories. NEW Nov 2012
Note: The Vaccine Storage and Handling Guide has become outdated and will not be updated. Please consult the FDA's package inserts found easily on the IAC website. Feb 2013
- Interim Storage and Handling Guidance Oct 2012
Brief summary of changes in recommendations for vaccine storage and handling equipment. Additional details can be found in the Storage and Handling Toolkit.
- You Call the Shots: Vaccine Storage and Handling Module is an interactive, web-based module which provides learning opportunities, self-test practice questions, reference and resource materials, and an extensive glossary. Continuing education credit is available. NEW Feb 2013
- Examples of vaccine labels [17 pages] which can be used to organize vaccines within the storage unit. Referenced in the storage and handling Toolkit and the Guide. UPDATED Feb 2013
- Provider's Role: Importance of Vaccine Admin. & Storage
Includes vaccine administration, timing and spacing of vaccine does, observation of precautions and contraindications, management of vaccine side effects, etc.
- Vaccine Storage Temperature Recommendations [1 page]
Adapted from Table 11, ACIP General Recommendations on Immunization
Note: Storage and handling information in previously published CDC documents, including the 12th Edition Pink Book, may be superseded by the materials listed in above section on this page. If inconsistencies are seen, follow newer guidelines in toolkit or more recently dated materials.
- Contact Information for State and Local Health Department Immunization Programs
- Immunization Action Coalition
- Manufacturers/Distributors Contact Information [1 page] NEW Nov 2012
- Pink Book Chapter on Vaccine Storage and Handling
See note above about referencing this document.
- National Institute of Standards and Technology: Vaccine Storage and Handling Research
Images and logos on this website which are trademarked/copyrighted or used with permission of the trademark/copyright or logo holder are not in the public domain. These images and logos have been licensed for or used with permission in the materials provided on this website. The materials in the form presented on this website may be used without seeking further permission. Any other use of trademarked/copyrighted images or logos requires permission from the trademark/copyright holder...more
This graphic notice means that you are leaving an HHS Web site. For more information, please see the Exit Notification and Disclaimer policy.