Glossary of Vaccine-related Terms & Acronyms
CDC uses words, abbreviations, and phrases that may not be familiar to everyone. These resources can help you understand the scientific and technological language on our site.
- This vaccine-related glossary only contains terms associated with vaccines and vaccine-preventable diseases. It is maintained by CDC's National Center of Immunization and Respiratory Diseases (NCIRD).
- For information about other health issues, see CDC's "Health Topics A-Z".
- Other CDC glossaries can be found via the CDC Search feature.
- These general acronyms and abbreviations are used throughout the immunizations site. (Also see U.S. vaccine abbreviations below.) UPDATEd Aug 2010
- Other general acronyms and abbreviations used on the CDC website can be found via the CDC Search feature.
- Abbreviations in immunization records
If you're looking for "old" abbreviations used on immunization records, see these vaccine abbreviations. (For example, Td=Adult Tetanus & Diphtheria Vaccine.) UPDATED Sep 2013
- Standardized U.S. vaccine abbreviations
U.S. Abbreviations for Vaccines are developed jointly by CDC, ACIP, MMWR, and other subject matter experts. The chart shows the vaccine, abbreviation, and trade name. UPDATED Apr 2013
- The sortable U.S. vaccines page lets you sort the entire list of U.S. vaccines by name, abbreviation, trade name, or manufacturer. UPDATED Aug 2011
- This list of U.S. vaccines and related products sorted by the vaccine name [1 page] shows the trade name, abbreviation, manufacturer, type (e.g., inactivated), and route (e.g., oral). UPDATED Feb 2012
- Related pages include:
- If you have an immunization record from another country and need to identify a vaccine, consult Aids to Translating Foreign Immunization Records [6.56 MB, 18 pages].
- Vaccine-preventable disease terms in multiple languages [2 pages]
Images and logos on this website which are trademarked/copyrighted or used with permission of the trademark/copyright or logo holder are not in the public domain. These images and logos have been licensed for or used with permission in the materials provided on this website. The materials in the form presented on this website may be used without seeking further permission. Any other use of trademarked/copyrighted images or logos requires permission from the trademark/copyright holder...more
This graphic notice means that you are leaving an HHS Web site. For more information, please see the Exit Notification and Disclaimer policy.