Smoke Free Soccer: Coaches Manual: Chapter 8
Every time your players smoke cigarettes, they inhale toxic poisons into their lungs. Soccer is a sport that rewards those who are in the best physical condition. Here’s an activity where those who are in the best shape will triumph more often than not.
- Two vs. two, with goals marked out in the corner of the grid.
- Play a regular game with periods of about 2-3 minutes in duration.
- Have extra balls ready to keep the game flowing.
- Pressure on the ball, do not allow first attacker’s head to come up.
- Second defender must cover the goal, as well as be aware of the second attacker.
- First defender tries to channel attacker into the sideline, away from the second attacker. (This is easier to do since the goals are in the corners of the field, the sideline comes up quicker.)
- When first defender has made the play predictable, second defender tries to double-team.
- Make sure the defenders stay balanced and do not become too spread out, enabling the attacking team to make splitting passes.
- As soon as the ball is won, they can shoot. This is the best time to do so because the attacking team is not in a good defending position.
Get email updates
To receive email updates about Smoking & Tobacco Use, enter your email address:
- CDC/Office on Smoking and Health
4770 Buford Highway
Atlanta, Georgia 30341-3717
TTY: (888) 232-6348