Smoke Free Soccer: Coaches Manual: Chapter 2
The "Death Zone" is an area where no one can venture safely without receiving a penalty. Tobacco Use is a death zone to kids—anyone who enters there pays the price! Teach your kids to achieve their goals without entering the Death Zone.
- Play a regular soccer game with two teams, goals and keepers.
- Mark the middle of the field with the Death Zone.
- No player may enter this zone, although the ball is allowed to pass through it.
- If a player enters the zone, assess a 30 second to one minute penalty, giving the opponent a one-player advantage.
- This drill is designed to keep players spread out across the soccer field. Encourage the players to stay wide.
- Vary the size of the Death Zone for desired results.
Get email updates
To receive email updates about Smoking & Tobacco Use, enter your email address:
- CDC/Office on Smoking and Health
4770 Buford Highway
Atlanta, Georgia 30341-3717
TTY: (888) 232-6348