Surveillance and Evaluation
State Data and Statistics
- State Data Highlights
- State Tobacco Activities Tracking and Evaluation (STATE) System
- Smoking-Attributable Mortality, Morbidity, and Economic Costs (SAMMEC)— login required
Guidelines and Resources
- Developing an Effective Evaluation Plan
This workbook is designed to help public health program managers, administrators, and evaluators develop an effective evaluation plan.
- Developing an Effective Evaluation Report
This workbook is designed to help public health program managers, administrators, and evaluators develop an effective evaluation report.
- Evaluation Toolkit for Smoke-Free Policies
This toolkit provides approaches to evaluating the effects of state policies and laws that restrict smoking in workplaces and public places.
- Introduction to Process Evaluation in Tobacco Use Prevention and Control
A guide that defines process evaluation and describes the rationale, benefits, key data collection components, and program evaluation management procedures.
- Preventing Initiation of Tobacco Use: Outcome Indicators for Comprehensive Tobacco Control Programs-2014
An updated guide that provides information on 62 preventing initiation outcome indicators to assist with program planning and evaluation.
- Key Outcome Indicators for Evaluating Comprehensive Tobacco Control Programs
A guide that provides information on 120 key outcome indicators.
- Surveillance and Evaluation Data Resources for Comprehensive Tobacco Control Programs
This booklet is an at-a-glance compilation of surveillance and evaluation resources for comprehensive tobacco control programs. It is meant to be used by program managers and evaluators in planning and evaluating tobacco control programs.
- Introduction to Program Evaluation for Comprehensive Tobacco Control Programs
A guide for planning and implementing evaluation activities.
- Question Inventory on Tobacco
A tool that categorizes more than 1,000 tobacco-related questions.
- Cancer Prevention & Early Detection Facts & Figures
Facts and figures on tobacco use and tobacco control programs are included in this resource from the American Cancer Society.
Communities Putting Prevention to Work (CPPW)
- Kansas: Television Campaign Motivates Kansans to Call Tobacco Quitline [PDF–542 KB]
- Kentucky: Everyone Wins as Kentucky Races Toward Reducing Exposure to Secondhand Smoke [PDF–203 KB]
- New Mexico: New Mexico’s Southwestern Tribes “Have a Heart” Campaign Recognizes Secondhand Smoke and Diabetes as a Dangerous Combination [PDF–139 KB]
- Oklahoma: Talking Circles: A Guide to Tribal Health Disparities [PDF–126 KB]
- Oregon: Oregon Works to Make Sure All Medicaid Tobacco Users Have Access to Effective Cessation Services [PDF–116 KB]
- Rhode Island: Using Retail Surveillance to Reduce Youth Smoking Initiation [PDF–264 KB]
- Texas: Right to Breathe Healthier Air in Texas by Standing Tall Together [PDF–211 KB]
- Utah: Recovery PLUS: Utah's Plan to Integrate Comprehensive Tobacco Policies into Mental Health and Substance Abuse Treatment [PDF–144 KB]
Get email updates
To receive email updates about Smoking & Tobacco Use, enter your email address:
- CDC/Office on Smoking and Health
4770 Buford Highway
Atlanta, Georgia 30341-3717
TTY: (888) 232-6348