Office on Smoking and Health (OSH)
A world free from tobacco-related death and disease
As the lead federal agency for comprehensive tobacco prevention and control, we develop, conduct, and support strategic efforts to protect the public's health from the harmful effects of tobacco use.
- Prevent initiation of tobacco use among youth and young adults
- Promote tobacco use cessation among adults and youth
- Eliminate exposure to secondhand smoke
- Identify and eliminate tobacco-related disparities
Partnerships and Actions
To accomplish our goals, we work in partnership with local, state, national, and international leaders to—
- Expand the science base of effective tobacco control
- Build sustainable capacity and infrastructure for comprehensive tobacco control programs
- Communicate timely, relevant information to constituents, policy makers, and the public
- Coordinate policy, partnerships, and other strategic initiatives to support tobacco control priorities
- Foster global tobacco control through surveillance, capacity building, and information exchange
National Tobacco Control Program
To achieve our mission, we fund health departments in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and seven U.S. territories for comprehensive tobacco prevention and control. Funded programs focus on tobacco use prevention, cessation, smoke-free environments, and tobacco-related disparities. To achieve impact, we work collaboratively with state and national partners and networks in providing strategic leadership, a solid science base, and technical assistance to advance evidence-based interventions at the state and local levels.
To address the worldwide epidemic of disease and death caused by tobacco, we work with international partners to expand the global science base through surveillance and research; build capacity for data collection, analysis and reporting; and assist with linking surveillance data to tobacco control efforts.
Get email updates
To receive email updates about Smoking & Tobacco Use, enter your email address:
- CDC/Office on Smoking and Health
4770 Buford Highway
Atlanta, Georgia 30341-3717
TTY: (888) 232-6348