Tobacco Control State Highlights 2010
Surveillance & Evaluation Supplement
Surveillance & Evaluation
The Surveillance and Evaluation Supplement to the Tobacco Control State Highlights 2010 (Highlights 2010) report is intended to be a resource to persons responsible for monitoring and evaluating state tobacco control programs.
The Highlights 2010 report is organized according to MPOWER, a framework developed by the World Health Organization that describes effective strategies that can be implemented globally. Several indicators are included for each component of MPOWER.
Download full report
- Monitor tobacco use and prevention policies
- Protect people from tobacco smoke
- Offer help to quit tobacco use
- Warn people about the dangers of tobacco
- Enforce bans on tobacco advertising, promotion, and sponsorship
- Raise state cigarette taxes on tobacco
This companion piece combines the information presented in the following two sections of the 2010 Highlights report:
- Indicators (pages 6–10 of Highlights 2010)
- Data Source, Definitions, and Interpretation (pages 216–221 of Highlights 2010)
Additionally, new information on the utility and limitations of the indicators is included that was not in the Highlights 2010 report. This section entitled, "Measurement and Evaluation Considerations," is new to this report and is included for each indicator. This section contains useful information to explain the data source, data limitations, and other considerations. Finally, for indicators measured by population-based surveys, the Definition sections were supplemented by wording from the actual survey items used for these indicators.
Persons with disabilities experiencing problems accessing the Tobacco Control State Highlights 2010 should contact email@example.com, or call 1-800-CDC-INFO (1-800-232-4636).
- Page last reviewed: October 29, 2010
- Page last updated: June 18, 2010
- Content source: