2006 Surgeon General's Report—The Health Consequences of Involuntary Exposure to Tobacco Smoke
- 6 Major Conclusions of the Surgeon General's Report [PDF—104 KB]
- There Is No Risk-Free Level of Exposure [PDF—96 KB]
- What Is Secondhand Smoke? [PDF—53 KB]
- Secondhand Smoke Is Toxic and Poisonous [PDF—56 KB]
- Secondhand Smoke Exposure in the Home [PDF—54 KB]
- Secondhand Smoke Exposure in the Workplace [PDF—42 KB]
- Children Are Hurt by Secondhand Smoke [PDF—62 KB]
- How to Protect Yourself and Your Loved Ones From Secondhand Smoke [PDF—64 KB]
- 29 Surgeon General's Reports on Smoking and Health, 1964–2006 [PDF—93 KB]
- Secondhand Smoke: What It Means to You
A short, easy-to-read booklet explaining what scientists have learned about the dangers of secondhand smoke
- Children and Secondhand Smoke Exposure [PDF—1.0 MB]
- Children and Secondhand Smoke Exposure: Errata Notice
Videos, Posters, and Other Resources
Secondhand Smoke: Triumphs and Tragedies is a 10-minute video that puts a human face on the issue by telling the stories of six individuals whose health was affected by secondhand smoke and/or who led local efforts to make workplaces and public places smoke free. The video also tells the stories of three communities that successfully implemented smoke-free policies. The video won the Gold Aurora and Silver Telly awards.
- Selected soundbites from Surgeon General interview (originally provided to radio stations)
Vice Admiral Richard H. Carmona, M.D., M.P.H., F.A.C.S.
U.S. Surgeon General
- Related Information on Secondhand Smoke
- Additional Resources
Order 2006 Surgeon General's Report documents from our Publications Catalog. In the Publications Catalog, type in 2006 SGR in the search box.
Disclaimer: Data and findings provided in the publications on this page reflect the content of this particular Surgeon General's Report. More recent information may exist elsewhere on the Smoking & Tobacco Use Web site (for example, in fact sheets, frequently asked questions, or other materials that are reviewed on a regular basis and updated accordingly).
- Page last reviewed: December 1, 2014
- Page last updated: April 30, 2012
- Content source: