Cigarette Prices and Smoking Prevalence After a Tobacco Tax Increase — Turkey, 2008 and 2012
May 30, 2014 / Vol. 63 / No. 21
Changes in Cigarette Prices and Smoking Prevalence Between 2008 and 2012
- The average price paid for a pack of cigarettes increased by 42.1% between 2008 and 2012.
- The average smoking rate dropped by 14.6% between 2008 and 2012, from 30.1% to 25.7%.
Decreases in Smoking Prevalence by Socioeconomic Status
- The largest drop in smoking prevalence—a 30.3% decrease—was among people in the bottom third of the wealth index.
- The decrease among those in the middle third of the wealth index was 13.9%.
- The decrease in smoking prevalence among those in the top third of the wealth index was 11.1%.
- Page last reviewed: December 12, 2014
- Page last updated: June 5, 2014
- Content source: