Great American Smokeout
Take the GASO challenge today!
The Great American Smokeout (GASO) encourages smokers to quit smoking and live a healthier life.
Resources for Tobacco Prevention and Control
The following products and resources are available to help smokers quit today and hopefully for good.
- Feature Article
Free Yourself from Smoking on November 15!
This article encourages smokers to free themselves from tobacco during the Great American Smokeout, which takes place this year on November 15. It identifies the benefits of stopping smoking and provides readers with cessation information and resources to help them quit and live healthier lives.
Free Yourself from Smoking—GASO 2012
States and partners can upload this button (available in various sizes) to their Web sites to help promote the 2012 Great American Smokeout and to link users to related content on this Web site.
Benefits of Quitting
The following consumer friendly resources explain what scientists have learned over the years about the health consequences of smoking. They also include helpful information on the benefits of quitting.
- How Tobacco Smoke Causes Disease: What It Means to You
- Secondhand Smoke: What It Means to You
- The Health Consequences of Smoking: What It Means to You
Support to Quit
The following free resources are available to help smokers quit.
- 1-800-QUIT-NOW (1-800-784-8669)
Smokers can get free support and advice from experienced counselors, a personalized quit plan, self-help materials, the latest information about cessation medications, and more.
- smokefree.gov provides free, accurate, evidence-based information and professional assistance to help support the immediate and long-term needs of people trying to quit smoking.
- women.smokefree.gov provides free, accurate, evidence-based information and professional assistance to help support the immediate and long-term needs of women trying to quit smoking.
- Quit Tobacco: Make Everyone Proud is a U.S. Department of Defense-sponsored Web site for military personnel and their families.
- American Cancer Society—The Great American Smokeout is the American Cancer Society's Web site that provides many resources to help you stop smoking.
- For assistance in Español: http://espanol.smokefree.gov/
Get email updates
To receive email updates about Smoking & Tobacco Use, enter your email address:
- CDC/Office on Smoking and Health
4770 Buford Highway
Atlanta, Georgia 30341-3717
TTY: (888) 232-6348