Tobacco Use Goals and Key Areas
Tobacco Use Goals
Reduce illness, disability, and death related to tobacco use and secondhand smoke exposure.
The Healthy People 2020 Tobacco Use objectives are organized into 3 key areas:
- Tobacco Use Prevalence: Implementing policies to reduce tobacco use and initiation among youth and adults.
- Health System Changes: Adopting policies and strategies to increase access, affordability, and use of smoking cessation services and treatments.
- Social and Environmental Changes: Establishing policies to reduce exposure to secondhand smoke, increase the cost of tobacco, restrict tobacco advertising, and reduce illegal sales to minors. Each objective includes a nationally representative and reliable data source, baseline estimate, and target for specific improvements to be achieved by the year 2020.
- Page last reviewed: November 13, 2014
- Page last updated: May 20, 2013
- Content source: