Mission Statement and Activities
The mission of the Division of Tuberculosis Elimination (DTBE) is to promote health and quality of life by preventing, controlling, and eventually eliminating tuberculosis from the United States, and by collaborating with other countries and international partners in controlling global tuberculosis.
To fulfill our mission, the DTBE carries out the following activities:
- Administers and promotes a national program for the prevention, control, and elimination of tuberculosis (TB);
- Provides leadership and formulates national policies and guidelines;
- Conducts behavioral, health systems, and clinical research;
- Provides genotyping, drug susceptibility testing, and identification of mycobacterial cultures submitted from federal, state, local, and territorial public health laboratories and for laboratory support of CDC epidemiological investigations;
- Supports a nationwide framework for surveillance of TB and evaluation of national TB prevention and control program performance;
- Provides administrative support for the Federal TB Task Force, and supports and collaborates with the National Tuberculosis Controllers Association to promote effective national communications and coordinated feedback on urgent policy and program performance issues;
- Provides technical supervision and training to Federal assignees working in the state and local TB control programs;
- Develops training and educational materials, and provides technical assistance on communications and training needs;
- Participates in the development of policies and guidelines for TB prevention and control within populations at high risk, such as persons with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV); and
- Provides programmatic consultation, technical assistance, and outbreak response assistance to state and local health departments; and, provides technical assistance to TB programs in other countries by collaborating with international partners.
Institute of Medicine (IOM) TB Report (archived)
- DC's Response to Institute of Medicine (IOM) TB Report (2002) (archived)
- Federal TB Task Force Pln in Response to the IOM Report (2003) (archived)