CDC Orientation for New Health Officials
The CDC Orientation for New Health Officials is a program offered each year by the Office for State, Tribal, Local and Territorial Support (OSTLTS). This program is designed to help new health officials from state, tribal, local, and territorial (STLT) public health agencies gain a comprehensive perspective of CDC’s priorities, operations, and leadership. The orientation provides health officials an opportunity to collaborate with CDC leadership and other health officials to advance their public health goals. It takes place annually at CDC in Atlanta, Georgia.
The goal of the orientation is to help new health officials initiate and improve relationships with CDC leaders and other STLT health officials to strengthen the public health system. After participating in the orientation, all new health officials will be able to
- Identify methods for communicating with CDC and accessing CDC resources
- Describe the public health priorities of CDC, barriers to prevention, and proven and promising prevention strategies and solutions
- Establish priorities and strategies for their jurisdictions based on science and CDC’s winnable battles
- Identify ways to have continued engagement and collaboration with CDC and other health officials
During the CDC Orientation for New Health Officials, a series of presentations are given by senior-level staff from centers, institutes, and offices across CDC. These presentations, as well as videos and web resources, are provided here to help orient new health officials to CDC and help them reach their public health goals:
- CDC Emergency Operation Center Virtual Tour, "Behind the Scenes: EOC"
- CDC's public health priorities, "Winnable Battles"
- CDC Learning Connection, a portal designed to help you locate public health learning products created by CDC and partners
- Resources for New Health Officials
Eligibility & Application Process
New STLT health officials who have been in office less than 12 months are eligible to attend the orientation. OSTLTS works closely with ASTHO and NACCHO to identify potential applicants to attend the orientation. New health officials who would like to attend should contact their local ASTHO or NACCHO representative for more information.
For additional questions about the CDC Orientation for New Health Officials, please email OSTLTS.
- Page last reviewed: November 9, 2015
- Page last updated: November 9, 2015
- Content source:
- Office for State, Tribal, Local and Territorial Support