Public Health Law
Have You Heard? Facts From The Field is a weekly feature from the Office for State, Tribal, Local and Territorial Support to provide CDC and the field with facts and news from state, tribal, local and territorial public health agencies. We invite you to read and share this information broadly.
July 16, 2015
- California’s school vaccination law now bans personal and religious exemptions for school-required vaccines—only medical exemptions will be permitted.
- Hawaii recently passed historic legislation making it the first state to prohibit the sale, purchase, possession, or consumption of cigarettes, other tobacco products, and e-cigarettes to anyone under age 21.
October 9, 2014
- Private groundwater wells are not covered by federal safe drinking water regulations, so some states—like Oregon and New Jersey—have laws that require well water be tested before property is sold to a new owner.
- Oregon’s private well testing laws enable public health officials to monitor well water quality and help protect people’s health.
- New Jersey’s Arsenic Awareness Initiative offers private well owners free, informative videos on how to test their drinking water.