Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Obesity
Have You Heard? Facts From The Field is a weekly feature from the Office for State, Tribal, Local and Territorial Support to provide CDC and the field with facts and news from state, tribal, local and territorial public health agencies. We invite you to read and share this information broadly.
October 27, 2014
- The Illinois Public Health Institute has released 5 tip sheets from their Controlling Junk Food and the Bottom Line report, showcasing how 8 school districts across the country eliminated junk food in their cafeterias without losing money.
- You can attend the Institute’s webinar on Friday, November 14, and learn about the strategies used to improve the schools’ nutrition standards without negative financial impact.
July 17, 2014
- More than 2/3 of Americans are overweight or obese, yet less than 1/4 of doctors feel they received adequate training in counseling patients on diet or physical activity, according to a new white paper.
- Are America’s physicians prepared to combat our nation’s obesity epidemic? The Bipartisan Policy Center, Alliance for a Healthier Generation, and the American College of Sports Medicine answer this important question [PDF – 979KB].
June 13, 2013
- Georgia SHAPE, a network of collaborative partnerships from business, government, education, philanthropy, and health care, is encouraging 30 minutes of additional
physical activity in all Georgia elementary schools.