Have You Heard? Facts From The Field is a weekly feature from the Office for State, Tribal, Local and Territorial Support to provide CDC and the field with facts and news from state, tribal, local and territorial public health agencies. We invite you to read and share this information broadly.
View the Current Have You Heard?
July 17, 2014
- More than 2/3 of Americans are overweight or obese, yet less than 1/4 of doctors feel they received adequate training in counseling patients on diet or physical activity, according to a new white paper.
- Are America’s physicians prepared to combat our nation’s obesity epidemic? The Bipartisan Policy Center, Alliance for a Healthier Generation, and the American College of Sports Medicine answer this important question [PDF – 979KB].
July 3, 2014
- Northampton, MA, the nation’s first 5-STAR Community, has successfully developed and implemented a wide range of sustainable practices, such as improving the health and safety of its residents.
- In Evanston, IL, a 4-STAR Community, 98% of households are within a half-mile of a park or green space.
- Over the last three years, the 4-STAR Community of Austin, TX, has increased the ability of low-income families to access low-cost, healthful food.