Other Chronic Diseases
Did You Know? is a weekly feature from the Office for State, Tribal, Local and Territorial Support to inform your prevention activities. We invite you to read, share, and take action!
View the Current Did You Know?
October 21, 2016
- Dental sealants prevent 80% of cavities in the back teeth (molars), where most cavities occur.
- School-aged children without dental sealants have almost 3 times more cavities than those with sealants―according to the latest Vital Signs report.
- States can protect millions more children from cavities by starting or expanding dental sealant programs in schools.
October 14, 2016
- Almost 15 million US adults with arthritis have severe joint pain, according to a new study.
- By 2040, the number of adults with arthritis will increase from 53 million to 78 million, and the number with severe joint pain also may increase.
- Proven physical activity and self-management education programs can reduce or manage arthritis pain without prescription opioids or other drugs.
September 30, 2016
- Despite the benefits of regular exercise, 31 million adults aged 50 years or older are inactive.
- Many chronic conditions can be prevented or managed [PDF-1.6MB] with physical activity.
- Communities can create a culture that supports physical activity by making design enhancements and offering healthy lifestyle programs.
November 15, 2013
- Colorectal cancer screening tests save lives by finding precancerous polyps and colorectal cancer early, when treatment works best. Screening is recommended for men and women aged 50–75 years.
- Several types of tests are used to screen for colorectal cancer. Ask your doctor [PDF-178KB] which test is right for you.
- The 25 states and 4 tribes in CDC's Colorectal Cancer Control Program provide screening services to underinsured low-income men and women aged 50–64 years.
June 14, 2013
- More than two thirds of Medicare beneficiaries have multiple chronic conditions, such as heart disease, arthritis, and diabetes, that require ongoing medical attention or limit their daily activities.
- In 2011, 93 percent of Medicare spending, or $276 billion, was allocated for caring for beneficiaries with two or more chronic conditions.
- Researchers and health professionals can use the new Chronic Conditions Dashboard to find data on the prevalence and costs of chronic conditions among Medicare beneficiaries.
March 1, 2013
- More than 20 million US adults [PDF-486KB] are estimated to have chronic kidney disease (CKD), and most of them are unaware of their condition.
- CDC’s new CKD Surveillance System tracks CKD in the US population over time and highlights federal efforts to prevent, detect, and manage the disease.
- Kidney disease is the ninth leading cause of death in the United States; March is designated National Kidney Month to raise awareness of this condition.
Did You Know? information and web links are current as of their publication date. They may become outdated over time.
- Page last reviewed: October 12, 2016
- Page last updated: October 21, 2016
- Content source: