June 2013 Archive
"Did You Know?" is a weekly feature from the Office for State, Tribal, Local and Territorial Support to inform your prevention activities. We invite you to read, share, and take action!
View the Current "Did You Know?"
June 28, 2013
- People with health insurance
get more preventive care and report better physical and mental health.
- Beginning October 1, Americans will have a new way to find affordable health coverage—including many
free preventive services—on the new Health Insurance Marketplace.
- Americans can visit the new
HealthCare.gov website or call 1-800-318-2596 now to ask questions and prepare to enroll.
June 14, 2013
- More than two thirds of Medicare beneficiaries have
multiple chronic conditions, such as heart disease, arthritis, and diabetes, that require ongoing medical attention or limit their daily activities.
- In 2011,
93 percent of Medicare spending, or $276 billion, was allocated for caring for beneficiaries with two or more chronic conditions.
- Researchers and health professionals can use the new
Chronic Conditions Dashboard to find data on the prevalence and costs of chronic conditions among Medicare beneficiaries.
June 7, 2013
is the third leading cause of death from food poisoning, and almost all
cases are among pregnant women and their newborns, people with weakened
immune systems, and adults aged 65 years or older.
- Most people with Listeria infection require hospital care, and about
1 in 5 with the infection die.
- Local, state, and territorial public health professionals are encouraged to complete the
Listeria Initiative [PDF-618KB] questionnaire for all cases of laboratory-confirmed listeriosis.