Did You Know? is a weekly feature from the Office for State, Tribal, Local and Territorial Support to inform your prevention activities. We invite you to read, share, and take action!
View the Current Did You Know?
October 26, 2012
- Women with disabilities aged 50–74 years are less likely to report receiving a mammogram than women without disabilities.
- Difficulty with positioning while getting a mammogram may discourage some women with disabilities from scheduling regular screenings.
- CDC offers free materials to help women with disabilities prepare for prepare for mammograms [PDF-997KB] and discuss any concerns with their doctor.
October 19, 2012
- Primary care and public health share a common goal of improving population health, yet too often work independently, according to a recent Institute of Medicine report.
- CDC’s Primary Care and Public Health Initiative works with residency education programs to reach physicians early in their careers with critical public health messages.
- You can sign up to learn about the Primary Care and Public Health Initiative’s monthly teleconferences and customizable educational materials.
October 12, 2012
- Sickle cell disease affects nearly 100,000 Americans; more than 3 million people carry the sickle cell gene, which is inherited.
- CDC offers tips on living well with sickle cell disease, along with videos, a self-care toolkit [PDF-3.9MB], and information about complications and treatments.
- The Strategies from the Field [PDF-4.4MB] report showcases unique ways states use data collection to help improve the health of people with sickle cell disease.
October 5, 2012
- The percentage of teens in high school who reported they drink and drive has decreased by more than half since 1991.
- Still, one in ten high school teens drinks and drives—that was nearly one million teens in 2011.
- Effective interventions to reduce teen drinking and driving include enforcement of minimum legal drinking age laws, zero tolerance laws, and graduated driver licensing systems.
- Page last reviewed: November 9, 2015
- Page last updated: November 9, 2015
- Content source:
- Office for State, Tribal, Local and Territorial Support