Did You Know? is a weekly feature from the Office for State, Tribal, Local and Territorial Support to inform your prevention activities. We invite you to read, share, and take action!
View the Current Did You Know?
August 31, 2012
- Nearly 1,600 cases and 65 deaths (as of August 29, 2012) from West Nile virus have been reported in the United States this year, the highest year on record since 1999.
- West Nile virus can lead to severe health complications, including meningitis, encephalitis, paralysis, and even death.
- CDC has a number of health education materials public health professionals can use to inform the public about how to protect themselves from West Nile virus.
August 24, 2012
- CDC just updated the NCHHSTP Atlas with viral hepatitis and TB surveillance data.
- You can create interactive maps and charts, and view data trends over time and location for HIV, AIDS, syphilis, gonorrhea, chlamydia, viral hepatitis, and TB.
- You can also download the Atlas buttons for your websites and view a video tutorial on key features.
August 17, 2012
- CDC recently revised its gonorrhea treatment guidelines because the oral antibiotic cefixime is becoming less effective in treating this sexually transmitted disease.
- Gonorrhea affects over 700,000 people annually and can lead to life-threatening ectopic pregnancy and infertility—caused by pelvic inflammatory disease—and increase the likelihood of HIV transmission.
- There are important steps [PDF-214KB] state and local health departments and others can take to address the potential threat of drug-resistant gonorrhea.
August 10, 2012
August 3, 2012
- About 61 million US adults are at high risk for serious vision loss, but only half visited an eye doctor in the past 12 months.
- Increased availability and affordability of eye health care services can help prevent blindness and vision impairment.
- Sharing these eye health tips can help the public take steps to keep their eyes healthy.
Did You Know? information and web links are current as of their publication date. They may become outdated over time.
- Page last reviewed: November 9, 2015
- Page last updated: October 14, 2016
- Content source:
- Office for State, Tribal, Local and Territorial Support