Did You Know? is a weekly feature from the Office for State, Tribal, Local and Territorial Support to inform your prevention activities. We invite you to read, share, and take action!
View the Current Did You Know?
June 24, 2011
- CDC-supported health departments provided 2.8 million HIV tests in 25 hard-hit areas across the nation in just three years.
- More than 18,000 Americans living with HIV learned their HIV status for the first time due to these expanded HIV testing efforts.
- National HIV Testing Day is Monday, June 27; find out what you can do to promote HIV testing.
June 17, 2011
- Motor vehicle crash deaths resulted in $41 billion in medical and work loss costs in the United States in 2005.
- Newly released fact sheets provide information on state costs and recommendations for saving lives and money.
- Motorcycle-related deaths reached an all-time high in 2008; a universal motorcycle helmet law is the only evidence-based safety measure that reaches all riders in a state, costs little to initiate, and saves lives and money.
June 10, 2011
- Salmonella infection causes more hospitalizations and deaths than any other type of germ found in food.
- The United States has seen a nearly 50% reduction in a serious food-borne illness caused by E. coli O157 in the last 15 years, although Salmonella infections remain steady.
- Health departments are the front line in foodborne outbreak investigations, but everyone has a critical role to play—from the farm to the table—to make our food safer to eat.
June 3, 2011
- One in five U.S. adults has a disability; what's the prevalence of disability where you
- CDC provides state, district and territory based health indicator data that show health disparities among people with disabilities.
- By including people with disabilities in grants that address health disparities, you can help promote health and wellness for people of all different abilities.
Did You Know? information and web links are current as of their publication date. They may become outdated over time.
- Page last reviewed: November 9, 2015
- Page last updated: October 17, 2016
- Content source:
- Office for State, Tribal, Local and Territorial Support