See the 2010 TREATMENT GUIDELINES for the most recent treatment information.
- Print Version - (516kb)
- PDA Version - download the Treatment Guidelines to your Palm Device.
- Slide Show - summary of the 2002 STD Treatment Guidelines:
These guidelines for the treatment of patients who have sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) were developed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) after consultation with a group of professionals knowledgeable in the field of STDs who met in Atlanta on September 26–28, 2000. The information in this report updates the 1998 Guidelines for Treatment of Sexually Transmitted Diseases (MMWR 1998;47[No. RR-1]). Included in these updated guidelines are new alternative regimens for scabies, bacterial vaginosis, early syphilis, and granuloma inguinale; an expanded section on the diagnosis of genital herpes (including type-specific serologic tests); new recommendations for treatment of recurrent genital herpes among persons infected with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV); a revised approach to the management of victims of sexual assault; expanded regimens for the treatment of urethral meatal warts; and inclusion of hepatitis C as a sexually transmitted infection. In addition, these guidelines emphasize education and counseling for persons infected with human papillomavirus, clarify the diagnostic evaluation of congenital syphilis, and present information regarding the emergence of quinolone-resistant Neisseria gonorrhoeae and implications for treatment. Recommendations also are provided for vaccine-preventable STDs, including hepatitis A and hepatitis B.
- Notice to Readers: Discontinuation of Spectinomycin - MMWR April 7, 2006
- Expedited Partner Therapy in the Management of Sexually Transmitted Diseases - Review and Guidance (February 2, 2006)
- Dear Colleague Letter - This letter outlines procedures for securing supplies of King’s Bicillin® L-A for the management of infectious syphilis in the United States.(August 22, 2005)
- Dear Colleague Letter - Open letter from John M. Douglas, Jr., MD., Director, Division of STD Prevention on expedited partner therapy (May 12, 2005)
- Dear Colleague Letter - Open letter from John M. Douglas, Jr., MD., Director, Division of STD Prevention on HPV testing and cervical cancer screening.
- Inadvertent Use of Bicillin® C-R to Treat Syphilis Infection Los Angeles, California, 1999--2004 - MMWR March 11, 2005
- Alternatives to intravenous penicillin G for specific infections (updated June 2004)
- Increases in Fluoroquinolone-Resistant Neisseria gonorrhoeae Among Men Who Have Sex with Men --- United States, 2003, and Revised Recommendations for Gonorrhea Treatment, 2004 - MMWR April 30, 2004
- Oral Alternatives to Cefixime for the Treatment of Uncomplicated Neisseria gonorrhoeae Urogenital Infections - (updated April 30, 2004)
- Notice to Readers: Discontinuation of Cefixime Tablets - MMWR November 22, 2002
- Fact Sheet: New CDC Treatment Guidelines Critical to Preventing Health Consequences of Sexually Transmitted Diseases - Media Release