Manual of Tests for Syphilis - Selected Chapters
This web page is archived for historical purposes and is no longer being updated.
As published by CDC and APHA in 1998
Selected chapters of the Manual of Tests for Syphilis 9th Edition are provided for easy access and reference. These chapters present methods and details for all the traditional tests, both non-treponemal and treponemal. Chapters from the 9th Edition which covered outdated tests or tests that are no longer commercially available have been omitted.
A new 10th Edition of the Manual of Tests for Syphilis is being developed and will present material on newly developed tests that incorporate more modern platforms.
- Chapter 1 - Diagnostic Tests
- Chapter 2 - Laboratory biosafety
- Chapter 3 - Collection of blood and cerebrospinal fluid
- Chapter 4 - Quality control
- Chapter 5 - Darkfield microscopy for the detection and identification of Treponema pallidum
- Chapter 8 - Venereal disease research laboratory (VDRL) slide test
- Chapter 10 - Rapid plasma reagin (RPR) 18-mm circle card test
- Chapter 12 - Fluorescent treponemal antibody-absorption (FTA-ABS) test
- Chapter 13 - Fluorescent treponemal antibody absorption double staining (FTA-ABS DS) test
- Chapter 20 - Serodia Treponema pallidum passive particle agglutination (TP-PA) test