Gonorrhea Treatment and Care
Antibiotics have successfully treated gonorrhea for several decades; however, the bacteria has developed resistance to nearly every drug used for treatment.
What is the treatment for gonorrhea?
Gonorrhea can be cured with the right treatment. CDC now recommends dual therapy (i.e. using two drugs) for the treatment of gonorrhea. It is important to take all of the medication prescribed to cure gonorrhea. Medication for gonorrhea should not be shared with anyone. Although medication will stop the infection, it will not repair any permanent damage done by the disease. Antimicrobial resistance in gonorrhea is of increasing concern, and successful treatment of gonorrhea is becoming more difficult. If a person’s symptoms continue for more than a few days after receiving treatment, he or she should return to a health care provider to be reevaluated.
Treatment Guidelines and Updates
- 2015 STD Treatment Guidelines - Gonococcal Infections (June 4, 2015)
- New Treatment Guidelines for Gonorrhea: Antibiotic Change - CDC expert commentary featuring Dr. Robert Kirkcaldy (August 13, 2012)
Resources for Clinicians
- Gemifloxacin Shortage (May 27, 2015)
- Gonorrhea Clinical Training: (April 2013)
- Self-Study Module for Clinicians - Web-based course designed to guide clinicians in the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of gonorrheal infection. Continuing education credits available.
- Ready-to-use Module for Clinical Educators - Each module contains a slide presentation, an instructor's guide, a case study, and test questions
- Audio Podcast – Dr. Robert Kirkcaldy, lead author of the updated gonorrhea treatment guidelines, discusses new gonorrhea treatment recommendations in this three minute podcast. (August 9, 2012)
- Press Release - Media announcement about updated gonorrhea treatment guidelines, includes quotes from NCHHSTP leadership (August 9, 2012)
- Media fact sheet - Details changes to updated gonorrhea treatment, gonorrhea trends, and call to action (updated July 2013)
- The Growing Threat of Multidrug-Resistant Gonorrhea – CDC Public Health Grand Rounds - View recording of webinar from May 15, 2012 (May 18, 2012)
- MMWR on CDC Grand Rounds: The Growing Threat of Multidrug-Resistant Gonorrhea (February 14, 2013)
- Page last reviewed: April 30, 2012
- Page last updated: October 21, 2015
- Content source: