Herpes Zoster Resources and References
On This Page
- Prevention of Herpes Zoster: Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP).
MMWR (15 May 2008) reports first statement by ACIP on use of live attenuated vaccine for the prevention of herpes zoster
- CDC. Updated recommendations for use of VariZIG - United States, 2013. MMWR. 2013;62(28):574-6.
- Slide set: Overview of VZV Disease & Vaccination for Healthcare Professionals [57 slides]
- What Is Shingles, and Who Can Get It?
Shingles information from the American Academy of Family Physicians
Shingles information from the National Institute on Aging which includes a printable brochure on shingles
- Resources on Shingles from NINDS
Information from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
- Shingles Interactive Tutorial
A tutorial from the Patient Education Institute, also available in Spanish
- Vaccination References and Resources
MMWRs on Varicella, Pink Book's chapter on Varicella, Travelers Health: Yellow Book...
- Zostavax Questions and Answers
Questions and answers about the Zostavax® vaccine from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration
- Provider Education
CDC herpes zoster podcast, courses, broadcasts, webcasts, and slide sets
- Print Ads
Printable fact sheets, personal story, and poster -- Updated July 2008
- Media Resources
CDC vaccine message and press release
- Podcast: There’s a Vaccine for Shingles?!
Posted Jul 2009
- Hales CM, Harpaz R, Joesoef MR, Bialek SR (2013). Examination of links between herpes zoster incidence and childhood varicella vaccination. Annals of Internal Medicine. 159(11):739-45.
- Moon, MA. Herpes Zoster Vaccine Effective in Real Practice [1 page]. Fam Prac News. 2011 Feb.
- Lu PJ, Euler GL, Harpaz R. Herpes zoster vaccination among adults aged 60 years and older, in the U.S., 2008. Am J Prev Med. 2011 Feb; 40(2):e1-6.
- Tseng HF, Smith N, Harpaz R, Bialek, SR, Sy LS, et al. Herpes zoster vaccine in older adults and the risk of subsequent herpes zoster disease. JAMA. 2011 Jan;305(2):160-6.
- Amlie-Lefond C, Jubelt B. Neurologic manifestations of varicella zoster virus infections. Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep. 2009 Nov;9(6):430-4.
- CDC. Prevention of varicella: Recommendations of the Advisory Committee of Immunization Practices (ACIP). MMWR. 2007;56(No. RR-44):1-40.
- Dworkin RH, Barbano RL, Tyring SK, Betts RF, McDermott MP, Pennella-Vaughan J, et al. A randomized, placebo-controlled trial of oxycodone and of gabapentin for acute pain in herpes zoster. Pain. 2009 Apr;142(3):209-17.
- Gershon AA, Gershon MD, Breuer J, Levin MJ, Oaklander AL, Griffiths PD. Advances in the understanding of the pathogenesis and epidemiology of herpes zoster. J Clin Virol. 2010 May;48(Suppl 1):S2-7.
- Gilden DH, Cohrs RJ, Mahalingam R. VZV vasculopathy and postherpetic neuralgia: progress and perspective on antiviral therapy. Neurology. 2005 Jan;64(1):21-5.
- Gnann JW Jr, Whitley RJ. Clinical practice. Herpes zoster. N Engl J Med. 2002 Aug;347(5):340-6.
- Kimberlin DW, Whitley RJ. Varicella-zoster vaccine for the prevention of herpes zoster. N Engl J Med. 2007 Mar;356(13):1338-43.
- Levin MJ, Gershon AA, Dworkin RH, Brisson M, Stanberry L. Prevention strategies for herpes zoster and post-herpetic neuralgia. J Clin Virol. 2010 May;48 (Suppl 1): S14-9.
- Nagel MA, Gilden DH. The protean neurologic manifestations of varicella-zoster virus infection. Cleve Clin J Med. 2007 Jul;74(7):489-94, 496, 498-9.
- Oxman MN, Levin MJ, Johnson GR, Schmader KE, Straus SE, et al. A vaccine to prevent herpes zoster and postherpetic neuralgia in older adults. N Engl J Med. 2005 Jun;352(22):2271-84.
- Sampathkumar P, Drage LA, Martin DP. Herpes zoster (shingles) and postherpetic neuralgia. Mayo Clin Proc. 2009;84(3):274-80.
- Sanjay S, Chan EW, Gopal L, Hegde SR, Chang BC. Complete unilateral ophthalmoplegia in herpes zoster ophthalmicus. J Neuroophthalmol. 2009 Dec;29(4):325-37.
- Schmader K. Herpes zoster and postherpetic neuralgia in older adults. Clin Geriatr Med. 2007 Aug;23(3):615-32,vii-viii.
- Sugisaki K, Yoshida H. Varicella zoster virus meningoencephalitis accompanied by sporadic skin lesions in an older immunocompetent adult. J Infect Chemother. 2007 Aug;13(4):270-2.
- Thomas SL, Hall AJ. What does epidemiology tell us about risk factors for herpes zoster? Lancet Infect Dis. 2004 Jan;4(1):26-33.
- Yawn BP, Saddier P, Wollan PC, St Sauver JL, Kurland MJ, Sy LS. A population-based study of the incidence and complication rates of herpes zoster before zoster vaccine introduction. Mayo Clin Proc. 2007 Nov;82(11):1341-9.
Images and logos on this website which are trademarked/copyrighted or used with permission of the trademark/copyright or logo holder are not in the public domain. These images and logos have been licensed for or used with permission in the materials provided on this website. The materials in the form presented on this website may be used without seeking further permission. Any other use of trademarked/copyrighted images or logos requires permission from the trademark/copyright holder...more
This graphic notice means that you are leaving an HHS Web site. For more information, please see the Exit Notification and Disclaimer policy.