Appendix F2 - Figure 2
Supplement F: Laboratory Guidance
Public Health Guidance for Community-Level Preparedness and Response to Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) Version 2/3
Figure 2 - RT-PCR Confirmatory Testing
Text version of Figure 2
PHL, LRN or commercial lab obtains Pos result.
Lab sends aliquot to CDC for confirmatory testing and includes copy of data.
CDC performs SARS RT-PCR.
- If Pos result, this is confirmed identification of SARS-CoV.1
- If control guidelines not met, repeat test using new aliquot.
- If Neg result, further evaluation may be necessary.
- Testing for other pathogens may be indicated.
- Confirmed identification of SARS-CoV in a single clinical specimen is not equivalent to laboratory confirmation of SARS-CoV infection in a patient. To be confident that a PCR-positive specimen indicates infection in the patient, a second specimen should be confirmed positive. For more information on the criteria for diagnosing SARS-CoV infection, see Appendix F8.
Images and logos on this website which are trademarked/copyrighted or used with permission of the trademark/copyright or logo holder are not in the public domain. These images and logos have been licensed for or used with permission in the materials provided on this website. The materials in the form presented on this website may be used without seeking further permission. Any other use of trademarked/copyrighted images or logos requires permission from the trademark/copyright holder...more
This graphic notice means that you are leaving an HHS Web site. For more information, please see the Exit Notification and Disclaimer policy.