Appendix F2 - Figure 1
Supplement F: Laboratory Guidance
Public Health Guidance for Community-Level Preparedness and Response to Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) Version 2/3
Figure 1 - SARS-CoV Specimen Testing Guidelines: RT-PCR Testing
Text version of Figure 1
For Respiratory specimens; Blood, plasma, or serum; and Stool
Prepare four aliquots1
- To test for SARS-CoV
- For repeat testing
- For confirmatory testing
- To test for other agents
Store remaining sample.
Perform SARS RT-PCR
- If Neg result, specimen is Neg for SARS-CoV.2
- Testing for other pathogens may be indicated.
- If control guidelines are not met, repeat test using new aliquot.
- If Pos result, repeat test using new aliquot.
- If Neg result, additional testing may be advised.2
- If Pos result x2, this is presumptive identification of SARS-CoV.
- Send aliquot to CDC for confirmatory testing. Include copy of data.
- Preparation of aliquots must be done where there is no risk of contamination.
- A negative result does not rule out SARS-CoV infection. See Appendix F7 for more information.
Images and logos on this website which are trademarked/copyrighted or used with permission of the trademark/copyright or logo holder are not in the public domain. These images and logos have been licensed for or used with permission in the materials provided on this website. The materials in the form presented on this website may be used without seeking further permission. Any other use of trademarked/copyrighted images or logos requires permission from the trademark/copyright holder...more
This graphic notice means that you are leaving an HHS Web site. For more information, please see the Exit Notification and Disclaimer policy.