Fact Sheets and Handouts
- YOU'RE IN STORE: The Use of Urine Biomarkers to Estimate Population Sodium Intake [PDF-134K]
- Sodium and Potassium Intakes Among US Infants and Preschool Children, 2003—2010 [PDF-338K]
- High Sodium Intake in Children and Adolescents: Cause for Concern [PDF-830K]
- Sodium: The Facts [PDF-161K]
- Sodium: Questions and Answers [PDF-122K]
- The Role of Sodium in Your Food [PDF-1.2M]
- Sources of Sodium in Your Diet [PDF-913K]
- Tips to Reduce Sodium [PDF-178K]
- Reducing Sodium in Your Diet to Help Control Your Blood Pressure [PDF-750K]
- Sodium and the Dietary Guidelines [PDF-724K]
- Sodium’s Role in Processed Foods [PDF-867K]
- Salt Stats for Media [PDF-188K]
- Online Procurement Resources [PDF-683K]
- Vital Signs: Where's the Sodium? [PDF-1M]
- Sodium Intake and Blood Pressure Among U.S. Children and Adolescents [PDF-157K]
- Improving the Food Environment Through Nutrition Standards: A Guide for Government Procurement [PDF-653K]
- Under Pressure: Strategies for Sodium Reduction in the School Environment [PDF-1.8M]
- Under Pressure: Strategies for Sodium Reduction in the Hospital Environment [PDF-736K]
- Under Pressure: Strategies for Sodium Reduction in Worksites [PDF-1.3M]
- Under Pressure: Strategies for Sodium Reduction in Institutional Environments [PDF-1M]
- Controlling Hypertension by Learning to Control Sodium Intake: A Fotonovela [PDF-3.0M] and Promotora Guide [PDF-1.0M]
CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Reports (MMWRs)
- Trends in the Prevalence of Excess Dietary Sodium Intake—United States, 2003–2010
- Vital Signs: Food Categories Contributing the Most to Sodium Consumption—United States, 2007–2008
- Usual Sodium Intakes Compared with Current Dietary Guidelines–United States, 2005–2008
- Usual Sodium Intakes Compared with Current Dietary Guidelines–MMWR Highlights [PDF-433K]
Recent Sodium-Related Journal Articles Written by CDC's Division for Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention
- Cogswell ME, Zhang Z, Carriquiry AL, Gunn JP, Kuklina EV, Saydah SH, Yang Q, Moshfegh AJ. Sodium and potassium intake among US adults, National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 2003-2008. Am J Clin Nutr 2012;96(3):647-657.
- Fang J, Cogswell M, Keenan N, Merritt R. Primary Health Care Providers' Attitudes and Counseling Behaviors Related to Dietary Sodium Reduction. Archives of Internal Medicine 2012;172(1):76-78.
- Gunn JP, Barron JL, Bowman BA, Merritt RK, Cogswell ME, Angell SY, Bauer UE, Frieden TR. Sodium reduction is a public health priority: Reflections on the Institute of Medicine’s Report, Sodium Intake of Populations: Assessment of Evidence. Am J Hypertens 2013;26(10): 1178-1180.
- Journal of Public Health Management and Practice. Public Health Interventions to Reduce Sodium Intake. 2014;20(1): S1-S58.
- Levings J, Cogswell M, Curtis C, Gunn J, Neiman A, Angell S. Progress toward sodium reduction in the United States. Pan American Journal of Public Health 2012; 32(4).
- Levings JL, Gunn JP. From Menu to Mouth: Opportunities for Sodium Reduction in Restaurants. PCD 2014;11:130237. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5888/pcd11.130237.
- Li N,Yan LL, Niu W, Labarthe D, Feng X, Shi J, Zhang J, Zhang R, Zahng Y, Chu H, Neiman A, Englegau M, Elliott P, Wu Y. Neal B. A large-scale cluster randomized trial to determine the effects of a community-based dietary sodium reduction-The China Rural Health Initiative Sodium Reduction Study. American Heart Journal 2013;166(5):815–822.
- Tian N, Zhang Z, Loustalot F, Yang Q, Cogswell ME. Sodium and potassium intake among infants and preschool children, United States, 2001-2008. Am J Clin Nutr 2013;98(4):1113-1122.
- Yang Q, Zhang Z, Kuklina EV, Fang J, Ayala C, Hong Y, Loustalot F, Dai S, Gunn JP, Tian N, Cogswell ME, Merritt R. Sodium intake and blood pressure among US children and adolescents, by weight status. Pediatrics 2012; 130(4):611-619.
- Zhang Z, Cogswell ME, Gillespie C, Fang J, Loustalot F, et al. (2013) Association between Usual Sodium and Potassium Intake and Blood Pressure and Hypertension among U.S. Adults: NHANES 2005–2010. PLoS ONE 8(10): e75289. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0075289.