Fact Sheets and Handouts
- High Sodium Intake in Children and Adolescents: Cause for Concern [PDF-830K]
- Sodium: The Facts [PDF-161K]
- Sodium: Questions and Answers [PDF-527K]
- The Role of Sodium in Your Food [PDF-1.2M]
- Sources of Sodium in Your Diet [PDF-913K]
- Tips to Reduce Sodium [PDF-178K]
- Reducing Sodium in Your Diet to Help Control Your Blood Pressure [PDF-750K]
- Sodium and the Dietary Guidelines [PDF-724K]
- Sodium’s Role in Processed Foods [PDF-867K]
- Salt Stats for Media [PDF-188K]
- Online Procurement Resources [PDF-683K]
- Vital Signs: Where's the Sodium? [PDF-1M]
- Sodium Intake and Blood Pressure Among U.S. Children and Adolescents [PDF-157K]
- Improving the Food Environment Through Nutrition Standards: A Guide for Government Procurement [PDF-653K]
- Under Pressure: Strategies for Sodium Reduction in the School Environment [PDF-1.8M]
- Under Pressure: Strategies for Sodium Reduction in the Hospital Environment [PDF-736K]
- Under Pressure: Strategies for Sodium Reduction in Worksites [PDF-1.3M]
- Under Pressure: Strategies for Sodium Reduction in Institutional Environments [PDF-1M]
- Controlling Hypertension by Learning to Control Sodium Intake: A Fotonovela [PDF-3.0M] and Promotora Guide [PDF-1.0M]
CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Reports (MMWRs)
- Vital Signs: Food Categories Contributing the Most to Sodium Consumption—United States, 2007–2008
- Usual Sodium Intakes Compared with Current Dietary Guidelines–United States, 2005–2008
- Usual Sodium Intakes Compared with Current Dietary Guidelines–MMWR Highlights [PDF-433K]
Recent Sodium-Related Journal Articles Written by CDC's Division for Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention
- Ayala C, Gillespie C, Cogswell M, Keenan NL, Merritt R. Sodium consumption among hypertensive adults advised to reduce their intake – National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1999-2004. [PDF-99K] Journal of Clinical Hypertension, 2012; 14(7):447-454.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. CDC Grand Rounds: Dietary Sodium Reduction—Time for Choice. MMWR, 2012;61(05):89-91.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Vital Signs: Food Categories Contributing the Most to Sodium Consumption—United States, 2007–2008. MMWR, 2012;61(05):1-7.
- Cogswell ME, Zhang Z, Carriquiry AL, Gunn JP, Kuklina EV, Saydah SH, Yang Q, Moshfegh AJ. Sodium and potassium intake among US adults, National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 2003-2008. Am J Clin Nutr 2012;96(3):647-657.
- Fang J, Cogswell M, Keenan N, Merritt R. Primary Health Care Providers' Attitudes and Counseling Behaviors Related to Dietary Sodium Reduction. Archives of Internal Medicine 2012;172(1):76-78.
- Levings J, Cogswell M, Curtis C, Gunn J, Neiman A, Angell S. Progress toward sodium reduction in the United States. Pan American Journal of Public Health 2012;32(4).
- Mugavero K, Losby J, Gunn J, Levings J, Lane R. Reducing Sodium Intake at the Community Level: The Sodium Reduction in Communities Program. Prev Chronic Dis 2012;9:120081.
- Yang Q, Zhang Z, Kuklina EV, Fang J, Ayala C, Hong Y, Loustalot F, Dai S, Gunn JP, Tian N, Cogswell ME, Merritt R. Sodium intake and blood pressure among US children and adolescents, by weight status. Pediatrics 2012; 130(4):611-619.