Journal Articles About Sodium for Health Professionals
Knowledge, Attitudes, and Behaviors Around Sodium
- John K, Cogswell ME, Zhao L, Maalouf J, Gunn J, Merritt, R. US Consumer Attitudes Toward Sodium in Baby and Toddler Foods. Appetite. 2016;171-175.
- Patel D, Cogswell ME, John K, Creel S, Ayala C. Knowledge, Attitudes, and Behaviors Related to Sodium Intake and Reduction Among Adult Consumers in the United States. [PDF-548K] American Journal of Health Promotion 2015.
- Bi Z, Liang X, Xu A, Wang L, Shi X, Zhao W, et al. Hypertension prevalence, awareness and control and sodium intake in Shandong Province, China: Findings from the baseline survey for the Shandong & Ministry of Health Action on Salt and Hypertension (SMASH) Project. Preventing Chronic Disease 2014; 11:E88. doi: 10.5888/pcd11.130423.
- Patel S, Gunn JP, Tong X, Cogswell ME. Consumer sentiment toward government actions related to reducing sodium in processed and restaurant foods: ConsumerStyles 2010. Am J Prev Med. 2014;46:516–24.
- Patel S, Gunn J, Merlo C, Tong X, Cogswell M. Consumer Support for Policies to Reduce the Sodium Content in School Cafeterias. Journal of Child Nutrition and Management 2014;38(1).
- Ayala C, Gillespie C, Cogswell M, Keenan NL, Merritt R. Sodium consumption among hypertensive adults advised to reduce their intake—National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1999–2004 [PDF-99K]. J Clin Hypertens. 2012;14:447–54.
- Fang J, Cogswell M, Keenan N, Merritt R. Primary health care providers’ attitudes and counseling behaviors related to dietary sodium reduction. Arch Intern Med. 2012;172:76–8.
Sodium Content of Foods
- Cogswell M, Gunn J, Keming Y, Park S, Merritt R. Sodium and Sugar in Complementary Infant and Toddler Foods Sold in the United States. Pediatrics. February 2015.
- Cogswell M, Yuan K, Gunn J, Gillespie C, Sliwa S, Galuska D, et al. Vital Signs: Sodium Intake Among U.S. School-Aged Children— 2009–2010. MMWR. 2014;63:1-9.
- Greer S. Schieb L. Schwartz G. Onufrak S, Park S. Association of the neighborhood retail food environment with sodium and potassium intake among US adults. PCD 2014;11:130340.
- Maalouf J, Cogswell ME, Gunn JP, Curtis CJ, Rhodes D, Hoy K, et al. Monitoring the sodium content of restaurant foods: public health challenges and opportunities. Am J Public Health. 2013;103(9):e21–30.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Vital Signs: food categories contributing the most to sodium consumption—United States, 2007–2008. MMWR. 2012;61(05):1–7.
Sodium Reduction Efforts
- Cogswell ME, Mugavero K, Bowman, BA, Frieden TR. Dietary Sodium and Cardiovascular Disease Risk – Measurement Matters. New England Journal of Medicine 2016; DOI: 10.1056/NEJMsb1607161.
- Angell SY, Levings JL, Neiman A, Asma S, Merritt R. "How Policymakers Can Advance Cardiovascular Health." Scientific American June 2014:24–29.
- Kane H, Strazza K, Losby JL, Mugavero K, Lane R,; Anater AS, Frost C,; Margolis M, Hersey J. Lessons Learned from Community-Based Approaches to Sodium Reduction. Amer J Health Promotion February 2014.
- Levings JL, Gunn JP. From menu to mouth: opportunities for sodium reduction in restaurants. Prev Chronic Dis. 2014;11:130237.
- Public health interventions to reduce sodium intake. J Public Health Manag Pract. 2014;20(suppl 1):S1–S58. Includes articles from the Sodium Reduction in Communities Program sites and CDC.
- Levings JL, Gunn JP. Sodium and Potassium Intake: Implications for Dietetic Practice. JAND 2014; 114(6):838–841.
- Coxson PG, Cook NR, Joffres N, Hong Y, Orenstein D, Schmidt SM, et al. Mortality benefits from population-wide reductions in sodium consumption: projections from three modeling approaches. Hypertension. 2013:61;564–70.
- Gunn JP, Barron JL, Bowman BA, Merritt RK, Cogswell ME, Angell SY, et al. Sodium reduction is a public health priority: reflections on the Institute of Medicine’s report, Sodium Intake in Populations: Assessment of Evidence. Am J Hypertens. 2013;26;1178–80.
- Wang G, Bowman BA. Recent economic evaluations of interventions to prevent cardiovascular disease by reducing sodium intake. Curr Atheroscler Rep. 2013;15:349.
- Levings J, Cogswell M, Curtis C, Gunn J, Neiman A, Angell S. Progress toward sodium reduction in the United States. Pan American Journal of Public Health 2012; 32(4).
- Mugavero K, Losby J, Gunn J, Levings J, Lane R. Reducing Sodium Intake at the Community Level: The Sodium Reduction in Communities Program. Prev Chronic Dis 2012;9:120081.
Studies of Sodium Intake
- Pfeiffer CM, Hughes JP, Cogswell ME, Burt VL, Lacher DA, LaVoie DJ, Rabinowitz DJ, Johnson CL, Pirkle JL. Urine Sodium Excretion Increased Slightly Among U.S. Adults between 1988 and 2010. J Nutr 2014;144(5):698-705.
- Li N, Yan LL, Niu W, Labarthe D, Feng X, Shi J, et al. A large-scale cluster randomized trial to determine the effects of a community-based dietary sodium reduction—The China Rural Health Initiative Sodium Reduction Study. Am Heart J. 2013;166:815–22.
- Tian N, Zhang Z, Loustalot F, Yang Q, Cogswell ME. Sodium and potassium intake among infants and preschool children, United States, 2003–2010. Am J Clin Nutr. 2013;98:1113–22.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Trends in the Prevalence of Excess Dietary Sodium Intake—United States, 2003–2010. Trends in the Prevalence of Excess Dietary Sodium Intake—United States, 2003–2010. MMWR 2013;62(50);1021-1025.
- Zhang Z, Cogswell ME, Gillespie C, Fang J, Loustalot F, Dai S, et al. Association between usual sodium and potassium intake and blood pressure and hypertension among U.S. adults: NHANES 2005–2010. PLoS ONE. 2013;10:e75289.
- Cogswell ME, Wang CE, Chen TC, Pfeiffer C, Elliott P, Gillespie C, Swanson C, Perrine C, Carriquiry A, Sempos C, Liu K, Loria C. Validity of predictive equations for 24-hour urine sodium excretion in adults aged 18-39 years. AJCN 2013; 10.3945/ajcn.113.059436 [E pub ahead of print].
- Cogswell ME, Elliott P, Wang C-Y, Rhodes DG, Pfeiffer CM, Loria CM. Assessing U.S. sodium intake through dietary data and urine biomarkers. Advances in Nutrition 2013;4:560-562.
- Perrine CG, Cogswell ME, Swanson CA, Sullivan KM, Chen T-C, Carriquiry AL, Dodd KW, Caldwell KL, Wang C-Y. Comparison of population iodine estimates from 24-hr urine and timed spot urine samples. Thyroid. 2013 Dec 5. [Epub ahead of print].
- Wang C-Y, Cogswell ME, Loria CM, Chen T-C, Pfeiffer CM, Swanson CA, Caldwell KL, et al. Urinary excretion of sodium, potassium, and chloride, but not iodine, varies by timing of collection in a 24-hour calibration study. J Nutr 2013; [Epub ahead of print] doi:10.3945/jn.113.175927.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Trends in the Prevalence of Excess Dietary Sodium Intake—United States, 2003–2010. MMWR 2013;62(50);1021-1025.
- Cogswell ME, Zhang Z, Carriquiry AL, Gunn JP, Kuklina EV, Saydah SH, et al. Sodium and potassium intake among US adults, National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 2003-2008. Am J Clin Nutr. 2012;96:647–57.
- Yang Q, Zhang Z, Kuklina EV, Fang J, Ayala C, Hong Y, et al. Sodium intake and blood pressure among US children and adolescents, by weight status. Pediatrics. 2012;130:611–9.
- Page last reviewed: June 9, 2016
- Page last updated: June 9, 2016
- Content source: