Washington D.C. Quarantine Station
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) operates a quarantine station in Washington, D.C. The station’s jurisdiction includes all ports in the District of Columbia, Maryland, Virginia, and West Virginia.
Quarantine Station Activities
- Coordinate public health responses (e.g., the emergency repatriation of U.S. citizens from Lebanon).
- Act as the program and agency representative at high-level meetings and workgroups in Washington (e.g., meetings with Homeland Security Council).
- Respond to reports of illness on airplanes and maritime vessels (cruise and cargo).
- Conduct tabletop exercises with local partners to ensure port and community preparedness for infectious diseases that could result in a pandemic.
- Partner with other federal agencies, local and state health departments in preparedness activities about quarantine and isolation at ports of entry.
- Review medical records of immigrants and alert state and local health departments of specific medical conditions requiring evaluation or treatment.
- Conduct training for local partners regarding migrant health-related processing and emergency preparedness.
- Assist local agriculture officers to screen international cargo and hand-carried items for potential vectors of human infectious disease.
Ports of Entry Statistics 2009
Washington-Dulles International Airport Arrivals
- 24 international airlines
- ~50 international flights daily
- Service from 43 international destinations
- 6.2 million international passengers annually
- 52% increase in immigrants and asylees
- 9.3% average yearly growth in international passenger traffic over the last 5 years
Other Ports of Entry
- Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport
- Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport
- Richmond International Airport
- Port of Baltimore
- Port of Newport News
- Port of Norfolk
(703) 661-1320 24-hour access
On call: 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
Office Hours of Operation: Monday–Friday: 8:30 a.m.–5:00 p.m. ET
P.O. Box 20081
Washington, DC 20041
Fax: (703) 661-5095
- Page last reviewed: January 15, 2014
- Page last updated: January 15, 2014
- Content source: