New York Quarantine Station
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) operates a quarantine station in New York City (NYC). The station’s jurisdiction includes all ports in New York, Connecticut, and Vermont, as well as the U.S.-Canadian land border crossings in New York and Vermont. The New York Quarantine Station also operates the preclearance ports of Montreal and Bermuda, as well as Shannon and Dublin, Ireland.
Quarantine Station Activities
- Respond to reports of illness on airplanes, maritime vessels (cruise and cargo), and at land border crossings.
- Review medical records of migrants who will reside permanently in the United States. Notify state and local health departments and refer any migrants with infectious tuberculosis and other communicable diseases.
- Partner with other federal agencies and local and state health departments in preparedness activities related to quarantine and isolation at ports of entry.
- Collaborate on binational border projects.
- Coordinate binational case detection, notification, and investigation with state and local health departments and border protection agencies.
- Conduct public health research.
- Monitor importations that may have pathogens infectious to humans.
Ports of Entry Statistics 2009
Major NYC Airport Arrivals
John F. KennedyInternational Airport
- 10,950,121 international passengers
- 115,676 immigrants
- 2,017 immigrants medically referred
- 30,832 refugees medically referred
- 115,676 immigrants
- 71,166 international flights
LaGuardia International Airport
- 512,775 international passengers
Total: 11,462,896 international passengers
Major NYC Seaport Arrivals
Port of Manhattan
- 625,0000 cruise ship passengers
- 132 cruise ships
Port of Brooklyn
- 247,258 cruise ship passengers
- 43 cruise ships
(718) 553-1685 24-hour access
On call: 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
Office Hours of Operation: 8:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m ET
CDC New York Quarantine Station
JFK International Airport
Terminal 4, Room 219.016
2nd Floor, East Concourse
Jamaica, NY 11430-1081
Fax: (718) 553-1524
- Page last reviewed: January 15, 2014
- Page last updated: January 15, 2014
- Content source: