Houston Quarantine Station
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) operates a quarantine station in Houston. The station’s jurisdiction includes all ports in East Texas (Health Districts 4–7) and Louisiana. The station also oversees the Dallas Quarantine Station’s jurisdiction of North Central Texas (Health Districts 1–3), Arkansas, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Missouri.
Quarantine Station Activities
- Respond to reports of illness or death on airplanes, cargo vessels, and other conveyances at international ports of entry within jurisdiction.
- Review medical records of immigrants who will reside permanently in the United States. Notify state and local health departments and refer immigrants with specific medical conditions.
- Partner with other federal agencies, local and state health departments, private medical providers, and hospitals in preparedness activities related to quarantine and isolation at ports of entry.
- Monitor importations that may have pathogens infectious to humans.
- Dispense immunobiologics and investigational drugs upon requests made to CDC.
Ports of Entry Statistics 2009
Major Airport Arrivals
George Bush Intercontinental Airport
- 8th largest U.S. airport for international passenger traffic
- 3.9 million international passengers
- Average 11,500 immigrants processed per year
- 495,132 air cargo shipments
Major Seaport Arrivals
Ports of Texas
- Port of Houston
- Most foreign waterborne tonnage of U.S. ports
- 70 percent of containerized cargo in U.S. Gulf
- 100 cargo ship lines offer services between Houston and 1,053 ports around the world
- Port of Galveston
- More than 600,000 cruise ship passengers each year
Ports of Louisiana
- Port of New Orleans:
- More than 6,000 cargo vessels on the Mississippi River each year
- More than 700,000 cruise line passengers each year
- Port of South Louisiana:
- Largest tonnage port district in the United States
(281) 230-3874 24-hour access
On call: 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
Office Hours of Operation: Monday-Friday: 8:00 a.m.–4:30 p.m. CT
CDC Houston Quarantine Station
P.O. Box 60366
Houston, TX 77205
Fax: (281) 230-3879
- Page last reviewed: January 15, 2014
- Page last updated: January 15, 2014
- Content source: