Detroit Quarantine Station
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) operates a quarantine station in Detroit. The station’s jurisdiction includes all ports of entry in Michigan, Ohio, and Kentucky. This includes the Detroit Metropolitan Airport, the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport, and the U.S.-Canada land border in Michigan. Also included are the two international cargo facilities in Kentucky for United Parcel Service and DHL Global.
Quarantine Station Activities
- Respond to reports of illness or death at land borders and on airplanes and other conveyances at international ports of entry.
- Partner with federal agencies, local and state health departments, private medical providers, and hospitals in activities related to preparedness, border health, and quarantine and isolation at ports of entry.
- Review medical records of migrants who will reside permanently in the United States. Notify state and local health departments and refer any migrants with specific medical conditions.
- Engage with our public health partners for emergency public health and bioterrorism response.
- Conduct training and education for key partners.
- Inspect animals, animal products, cargo, and human remains that pose a potential threat to human health.
- Screen cargo and hand-carried items for potential vectors of human infectious diseases.
Ports of Entry Statistics 2009
Major International Airport
Detroit Metropolitan Airport Arrivals
- 1,151,767 international passengers
- 7,463 immigrants
- 1,160 migrants medically referred
Land Border Crossings
- 1,197,967 trucks
- 29,777 buses/297,787 passengers
- 4,082,030 personal vehicles/7,270,765 passengers
Port Huron Arrivals
- 625,642 trucks
- 2,552 buses/68,768 passengers
- 1,570,273 personal vehicles/3,319,652 passengers
Sault Ste. Marie Arrivals
- 44,097 trucks
- 4,514 buses/48,589 passengers
- 787,692 personal vehicles/1,422,293 passengers
Total land border crossings: 14,295,560
(734) 955-6197 24-hour access
On call: 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
Office Hours of Operation: Monday-Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. ET
CDC Detroit Quarantine Station
Detroit Metropolitan Airport
2613 World Gateway Place
McNamara Terminal, Bldg. 830
Detroit, MI 48242
Fax: (734) 955-7790
- Page last reviewed: January 15, 2014
- Page last updated: January 15, 2014
- Content source: