Anchorage Quarantine Station
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) operates a quarantine station in Anchorage. The station’s jurisdiction covers the international air, land, and sea ports of Alaska—a vast area larger than Texas, California, and Montana combined.
Quarantine Station Activities
- Respond to reports of illness or deaths on airplanes, maritime vessels, and land border crossings to ensure appropriate actions are taken.
- Conduct emergency preparedness planning, training, and exercises involving port and community partners, including hospitals, local health institutions, and law enforcement.
- Screen and enforce entry requirements for animals, etiologic agents, and vectors deemed to be of public health significance.
- Review medical records of migrants who will reside permanently in the United States. Notify state and local health departments of any migrants with specific medical conditions.
- Provide travelers with essential health information.
Unique Characteristics of Alaska
Alaska is located 9.5 hours from 90% of the world, borders with Canada, and is 55 miles from Russia. Alaska has a larger coastline than that of the continental United States. Native Tribal islands are located on international borders. Alaska is a landing zone for international MEDEVACs, emergencies, diversions, and corporate aviation traveling to and from the Far East. As northern sea ice melts, Alaska’s shipping market has seen growing international cruise and cargo maritime activity.
Ports of Entry Statistics 2009 - 2010
Anchorage Airport Arrivals
- 755 cargo flights per week (2nd largest cargo airport in the United States)
- ~90% of cargo between Asia and North America pass through Anchorage.
- 1,026,600 cruise ship passengers per summer
- 205,504 vehicle passengers per year
- 234,816 passenger rail/bus crossings per year
(907) 271-6301 24-hour access
On call: 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
Office Hours of Operation: Monday–Friday: 8:00 a.m.–4:30 p.m. AKT
Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport
4600 Postmark Drive, Suite NA 212
Anchorage, Alaska 99502
Fax: (907) 271-6325
- Page last reviewed: January 15, 2014
- Page last updated: January 15, 2014
- Content source: