HIPAA Privacy Rule and Public
Guidance from CDC and the U.S. Department of Health
and Human Services
Volume 52, Early Release
- Gostin LO, Hodge JG Jr. Personal privacy and common goods: a
framework. Minnesota Law Review 2002;86:1439--80.
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996. Pub. L.
No. 104-191, 110 Stat. 1936 (1996).
- Office for Civil Rights, Department of Health and Human Services.
Title 45 of the Code of Federal Regulations Parts 160 and 164.
Available at http://www.dhhs.gov/ocr/combinedregtext.pdf.
- Office for Civil Rights. OCR guidance explaining significant aspects
of the Privacy Rule, 2002. Department of Health and Human Services.
Available at http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/hipaa.
- Gostin, LO, Hodge JG Jr. Privacy Law Advisory Committee. Model state
public health information privacy act, 1999. Available at http://www.publichealthlaw.net/Resources/ResourcesPDFs/modelprivact.pdf.
- Department of Health and Human Services. Protecting personal health
information in research --- understanding the HIPAA Privacy Rule.
Department of Health and Human Services. Washington, D.C.: 2003 (in
- Snider DE, Stroup DF. Defining research when it comes to public
health. Public Health Rep 1997:112:29--32.
- CDC. Guidelines for defining public health research and public
health nonresearch. Available at http://www.cdc.gov/od/ads/opspoll1.htm.
- Amoroso PJ, Middaugh JP. Research vs. public health practice: when
does a study require IRB review? Prev Med 2003;36:250--3.
- Office for Protection from Research Risks, National Institutes of
Health, Department of Health and Human Services. Public welfare:
protection of human subjects, 2001. [45 CFR 46]. Available at http://ohrp.osophs.dhhs.gov/humansubjects/guidance/45cfr46.htm.
- National Commission for the Protection of Human Subjects of
Biomedical and Behavioral Research. Belmont report: ethical principles
and guidelines for the protection of human subjects of research.
Department of Health, Education and Welfare. Available at http://www.med.umich.edu/irbmed/ethics/belmont/BELMONTR.HTM.