Educational Module (Released March 27, 2013)
Residency educators may download and use the following slides for their own teaching purposes.
- Adherence to Long Term Therapies: Evidence for Action [PDF - 1.53MB]
World Health Organization
- Medication Adherence Interventions: Comparative Effectiveness. Closing the Quality Gap: Revisiting the State of the Science— Executive Summary [PDF - 433KB]
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
- Ho PM, Bryson CL, Rumsfeld JS. Medication adherence. Circulation 2009;119(23):3028-35.
- Brown MT, Bussell JK. Medication adherence: WHO cares? [PDF - 1.2MB] Mayo Clinic Proceedings 2011;86(4):304.
- Osterberg L, Blaschke T. Adherence to medication. New England Journal of Medicine 2005;353(5):487-97.
- Levine DA, Morgenstern LB, Langa KM, Piette JD, Rogers MA, Karve SJ. Recent trends in cost‐related medication nonadherence among US stroke survivors. Annals of Neurology 2013 Feb 22; doi: 10.1002/ana.23823. [Epub ahead of print].
- Edmondson D, Horowitz CR, Goldfinger JZ, Fei K, Kronish IM. Concerns about medications mediate the association of posttraumatic stress disorder with adherence to medication in stroke survivors. British Journal of Health Psychology 2013 Jan 7. doi: 10.1111/bjhp.12022. [Epub ahead of print].
- Haynes RB, Ackloo E, Sahota N, McDonald HP, Yao X. Interventions for enhancing medication adherence. Cochrane Database Systematic Reviews 2008;2(2). doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD000011.pub3.
- Martin MY, Kim YI, Kratt P, Litaker MS, Kohler CL, Schoenberger YM, et al. Medication adherence among rural, low-income hypertensive adults: a randomized trial of a multimedia community-based intervention [PDF - 315KB]. American Journal of Health Promotion 2011;25(6):372-8.
- Viswanathan M, Golin C, Jones CD, Ashok M, Blalock SJ, Wines RC, et al. Interventions to improve adherence to self-administered medications for chronic diseases in the United States: a systematic review. Annals of Internal Medicine;2012;157(11):785-95.
- Page last reviewed: April 4, 2013
- Page last updated: April 4, 2013
- Content source: